Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocohotloco)
    Yeah that vocab threw me off so much too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found it hard! Next Monday will be my death I'm sure of it :/
    I'm actually pretty glad I'm not sitting the literature papers, as that would come so close to econ.

(Taking the mixed Classics A-Level myself)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I'm actually pretty glad I'm not sitting the literature papers, as that would come so close to econ.

(Taking the mixed Classics A-Level myself)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah you're so lucky they are the worst part of the course in my opinion! I much prefer the unseens to the set texts. I've never heard of the mixed classics A level, what do you do apart from the language papers?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that vocab threw me off so much too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found it hard! Next Monday will be my death I'm sure of it :/
    Yeah, I think most people found it difficult. I'm sure we all did fine though

So much cramming of set texts to do this weekend >.<

ReputationRep:
    yeah you're so lucky they are the worst part of the course in my opinion! I much prefer the unseens to the set texts. I've never heard of the mixed classics A level, what do you do apart from the language papers?
    I agree, though I did like the Cicero set text!

You can basically combine any module from the OCR Classics specification into an A-Level. My AS is comprised of Classical Greek and Latin language, while the A2 is comprised of Classical Greek and Latin Prose.

You can change one of your A-Levels too if you wish: if, for instance, you wanted to drop Latin at A2 because of its ridiculous difficulty, you could just change to something like ancient history or classical civilisation and go for the Classics A-Level.

In any case, I'm sure you'll rock literature as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I agree, though I did like the Cicero set text!

You can basically combine any module from the OCR Classics specification into an A-Level. My AS is comprised of Classical Greek and Latin language, while the A2 is comprised of Classical Greek and Latin Prose.

You can change one of your A-Levels too if you wish: if, for instance, you wanted to drop Latin at A2 because of its ridiculous difficulty, you could just change to something like ancient history or classical civilisation and go for the Classics A-Level.

In any case, I'm sure you'll rock literature as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish I had done that I would have loved to do some Ancient History with the languages but I guess it's all kind of mixed in anyways The literature is very interesting though, especially Ovid but it's just the exam that makes me hate it but oh well I just need to get it over and done with! Good luck on the rest of your exams too

ReputationRep:
    Which sections do you think will come up for the set texts, you can see the good bits of Ovid like the metamorphoses bit and the metaphors and whatever but I have no clue for Cicero, it all seems the same Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattthemedic)
    Which sections do you think will come up for the set texts, you can see the good bits of Ovid like the metamorphoses bit and the metaphors and whatever but I have no clue for Cicero, it all seems the same Any ideas?
    I think you are right about that bit of Ovid coming up (which is a shame because I am strongest on the early bits like Pentheus's speech, especially for translation)
    For Cicero I'm hoping for an early bit listing pompeys virtues, and ideally not anything about his recent achievements I.e. pirates

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping Cicero will be some of the earlier chapters because I only know those and 43! Not too fussed about what come up for Ovid, as long as it isn't the very last bit.

ReputationRep:
    Guys has anyone got any analysis or analysis resources for either story, agh! (I haven't even learnt them properly yet help!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaWelly)
    Guys has anyone got any analysis or analysis resources for either story, agh! (I haven't even learnt them properly yet help!!)
    http://deimperio.theclassicslibrary.com/introduction/
    here's something for cicero but there isnt anything like that for ovid xx

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the lit?

ReputationRep:
    Really struggled with the 4 markers for any content points and ran put of time on the last question on Ovid. Did anyone use latin evidence in the 10 markers? I definitely didn't!...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo220284)
    Really struggled with the 4 markers for any content points and ran put of time on the last question on Ovid. Did anyone use latin evidence in the 10 markers? I definitely didn't!...
    Yeah I used a bit of evidence
    On the one which said dramatic and tense I didn't know if we had to do these words separately? Also are you meant to develop points or just do about 10 briefer points for 10 markers?

ReputationRep:
    I think for the 10 markers it's developed points, isn't it?

And I put in a few bits from the latin where I could remember but the mark schemes for essays suggest that detailed reference to the text, even in paraphrased english should be enough.

Otherwise I thought I could have been nastier, and although i'm conscious of having made mistakes, it's the first exam i've left feeling good.

i've probably jinxed it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historandpliny)
    I think for the 10 markers it's developed points, isn't it?

And I put in a few bits from the latin where I could remember but the mark schemes for essays suggest that detailed reference to the text, even in paraphrased english should be enough.

Otherwise I thought I could have been nastier, and although i'm conscious of having made mistakes, it's the first exam i've left feeling good.

i've probably jinxed it now.

Thanks! When u say developed how developed? Because I only wrote like 3 lines a point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiehiled)
    Thanks! When u say developed how developed? Because I only wrote like 3 lines a point
    I reckon that'll probably fine, it's 10 (15?) minute essay and they like plenty of points so i don't think they should want more than that. Someone probably knows better than me, but im hoping they are relatively nice with essays as i think they can't demand too much for ten marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Historandpliny)
    I reckon that'll probably fine, it's 10 (15?) minute essay and they like plenty of points so i don't think they should want more than that. Someone probably knows better than me, but im hoping they are relatively nice with essays as i think they can't demand too much for ten marks
    Thanks yeah I think so !

ReputationRep:
    You'll have done fine they mark it really generously (my teacher is an exam setter for OCR Latin!) so long as you've just recalled knowledge of the texts and not just the bits that were given and talked a little bit about them you'll get at least 6 or 7 upwards. Good luck on results day fellow Latinists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattthemedic)
    You'll have done fine they mark it really generously (my teacher is an exam setter for OCR Latin!) so long as you've just recalled knowledge of the texts and not just the bits that were given and talked a little bit about them you'll get at least 6 or 7 upwards. Good luck on results day fellow Latinists
    This is lovely news! Although I half wish I'd paid less attention to the essay now...

And to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember how much they wrote for literature, I used the whole booklet except for the last page, I was worried I wrote too much.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.