Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Style is noting features of language. For example similes, anaphora, position of certain words etc.. and how they help convey meaning or emphasise a certain point.
    Content is simply what is written. The 10 marker is usually content based and about a specific theme or character. 8 markers are usually looking for a mixture of style and content
    Ok, thanks. Thats's good. So they are very separate things

ReputationRep:
    So what are the main themes of the Ovid and Cicero then?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough

Yes I am
    I keep on forgetting to do this. If you'd still like me to give your translation a look-over, could you point out the translation to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    I keep on forgetting to do this. If you'd still like me to give your translation a look-over, could you point out the translation to me?
    Thank you! I know quite a few bits are incorrect so I was wanting to know how many marks I might have lost

Spoiler:
    Show
    On the third day after the battle Pereus Arrived in (citybeginning with A). Having followed him the romans prepared a camp far away (didn't know meaning of haud). On account of so many victories They ______ many of the Roman cities. metu victae, They prepared to do the same to other cities. However the legates, having been sent by pereus to the nearest cities to ask for help against the Romans(i think this was correct translation can't remember), could not persuade them. Therefore Pereus having called together the citizens made a speech. as soon as he began speaking, They held back their tears . Therefore he asked his friend to read it for him. All the citizens,although they were also crying having caught sight of the king with tears, did not want to listen to his friend. They shouted,encouraged by anger "go away(abite),lest we also perish on account of you.The king left to his ship . As soon as the soldiers found out they were to welcome him, they departed to their homes. Abandoned by his allies,he fled alone. When the Roman general entered A(name of city) so many citizens rushed to greet him that he understood that Perseus was like an enemy among his citizens

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I know quite a few bits are incorrect so I was wanting to know how many marks I might have lost
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On the third day after the battle Pereus Arrived in (citybeginning with A). Having followed him the romans prepared a camp far away (didn't know meaning of haud). On account of so many victories They ______ many of the Roman cities. metu victae, They prepared to do the same to other cities. However the legates, having been sent by pereus to the nearest cities to ask for help against the Romans(i think this was correct translation can't remember), could not persuade them. Therefore Pereus having called together the citizens made a speech. as soon as he began speaking, They held back their tears . Therefore he asked his friend to read it for him. All the citizens,although they were also crying having caught sight of the king with tears, did not want to listen to his friend. They shouted,encouraged by anger "go away(abite),lest we also perish on account of you.The king left to his ship . As soon as the soldiers found out they were to welcome him, they departed to their homes. Abandoned by his allies,he fled alone. When the Roman general entered A(name of city) so many citizens rushed to greet him that he understood that Perseus was like an enemy among his citizens
    OK, my memory of the translation is sketchy (and mine could be wrong), I am using the 2015 mark scheme and I will do my best.

'prepared' is the wrong word. 'castras pono' means 'I set up camp'. This might be considerd a 'close' translation, so you might lose a point or you might not.

It was 'haud procul', and 'haud' means 'not' and procul means 'far, far off' (although 'far away' also seems very probable as a correct translation, I might not know all translations). An ommitted word (except for et) always means a major error, so you lose one point.

The cities, conquered by fear, yielded to the Romans. I can't remember anything about 'others', but it's probably just my memory being faulty. This sentence contains some of the meaning, so I'd put it as 3-2 marks.

I think the 'legates' sentence is correct. The only slight concern I would have is the actual word 'legates', and that's because I've never heard of that translation. However, 'legate' means 'ambassador' or 'messenger' according to Wikipedia, which is basically what they want. I put 'envoys', but I should think that 'legates' is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I'm pretty sure they were crying, but I can't remember what exactly they were doing. I cannot accurately mark this, but I'd put 3-4 marks.

They were crying when they caught sight of the tears of the king. Note that regis is genitive, and tears formed an ablative absolute with the participle. I'd knock off one mark for that.

I'm pretty sure the soldiers were not 'to welcome him'. I can't remember what they learned, but I think you'd lose 1-2 marks.

As I've said, my memory is fuzzy sometimes and I am no examiner marker. This is my best guess. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a phrase about pity missing from the translation you've put down, but I would not have expected anyone to remember their whole translation fully. Can you remember it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    OK, my memory of the translation is sketchy (and mine could be wrong), I am using the 2015 mark scheme and I will do my best.

'prepared' is the wrong word. 'castras pono' means 'I set up camp'. This might be considerd a 'close' translation, so you might lose a point or you might not.

It was 'haud procul', and 'haud' means 'not' and procul means 'far, far off' (although 'far away' also seems very probable as a correct translation, I might not know all translations). An ommitted word (except for et) always means a major error, so you lose one point.

The cities, conquered by fear, yielded to the Romans. I can't remember anything about 'others', but it's probably just my memory being faulty. This sentence contains some of the meaning, so I'd put it as 3-2 marks.

I think the 'legates' sentence is correct. The only slight concern I would have is the actual word 'legates', and that's because I've never heard of that translation. However, 'legate' means 'ambassador' or 'messenger' according to Wikipedia, which is basically what they want. I put 'envoys', but I should think that 'legates' is a perfectly acceptable alternative.

I'm pretty sure they were crying, but I can't remember what exactly they were doing. I cannot accurately mark this, but I'd put 3-4 marks.

They were crying when they caught sight of the tears of the king. Note that regis is genitive, and tears formed an ablative absolute with the participle. I'd knock off one mark for that.

I'm pretty sure the soldiers were not 'to welcome him'. I can't remember what they learned, but I think you'd lose 1-2 marks.

As I've said, my memory is fuzzy sometimes and I am no examiner marker. This is my best guess. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a phrase about pity missing from the translation you've put down, but I would not have expected anyone to remember their whole translation fully. Can you remember it?
    Thank you!
    I was editing the translation posted by another user and didn't edit it completely to make it like what I put in the actual exam.

I think I put 'positioned' in the exam paper

In the sentence about the soldiers, I remember there being a verb like 'recepisset' which means received, so I thought welcome would be most suitable in the context.

You're right there was another sentence. I know I translated it, but can't remember what it was.

Thanks once again. Going to try to get as high as possible in the Lit so hopefully I'll get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    I was editing the translation posted by another user and didn't edit it completely to make it like what I put in the actual exam.

I think I put 'positioned' in the exam paper

In the sentence about the soldiers, I remember there being a verb like 'recepisset' which means received, so I thought welcome would be most suitable in the context.

You're right there was another sentence. I know I translated it, but can't remember what it was.

Thanks once again. Going to try to get as high as possible in the Lit so hopefully I'll get an A overall.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think 80/100 marks will still be the boundary for an A? I think one year it was 85

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think 80/100 marks will still be the boundary for an A? I think one year it was 85
    I'm not sure, but I'm hoping it's low because I'm worried about my literature. I don't really know how to get myself ready...

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a bad experience doing the 2015 Greek past paper. One of my particular problems was time management. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am resitting my AS Literature Paper and am revising with some questions my teacher has made up as well as memorising the translation, I have a brief idea of what to expect because I sat the paper last year, but would anyone be able to remind me of the layout up of the paper (I'm doing Cicero de Imperio 27-45 and Ovid Metamorphoses 511-733), like how many questions and marks and stuff...? I don't really remember and am panicking!!!

If there's another thread that would be better could you redirect me there??

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aish112)
    Hiya,

I am resitting my AS Literature Paper and am revising with some questions my teacher has made up as well as memorising the translation, I have a brief idea of what to expect because I sat the paper last year, but would anyone be able to remind me of the layout up of the paper (I'm doing Cicero de Imperio 27-45 and Ovid Metamorphoses 511-733), like how many questions and marks and stuff...? I don't really remember and am panicking!!!

If there's another thread that would be better could you redirect me there??

Thank you so much!
    Name:  Image1463869177.030929.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  379.0 KB
    It'll be like this. This is probably the paper you sat last year

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Image1463869177.030929.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  379.0 KB
    It'll be like this. This is probably the paper you sat last year
    Thank you so much!!!! This is amazing, yeah this definitely looks familiar! Really wan't prepared last time hopefully will be a lot more this time! I'm guessing the Cicero was a similar layout...? Thanks again for the speedy reply (just realised the paper was pretty long wasn't it!!!)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!!! This is amazing, yeah this definitely looks familiar! Really wan't prepared last time hopefully will be a lot more this time! I'm guessing the Cicero was a similar layout...? Thanks again for the speedy reply (just realised the paper was pretty long wasn't it!!!)
    Cicero is exactly the same layout; this paper is ridiculous timing wise! 90 minutes for 100 marks when you have to plan two 10 mark essays.... >-<

ReputationRep:
    I have a silly question:
    Who is the leader by the way? Who does Pentheus want? The leader of what???
    Is it Acoetes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    Cicero is exactly the same layout; this paper is ridiculous timing wise! 90 minutes for 100 marks when you have to plan two 10 mark essays.... >-<
    -.- great! So much to look forward to! Talking of 10 markers, how much is like a decent amount to write because i keep asking my teacher how many points to make but he never gives me a straight answer...

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering - how many people are taking this exam with computers? Because handwriting this exam in the time limit seems crazy to me.

ReputationRep:
    Cicero's long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stripedbox)
    I have a silly question:
    Who is the leader by the way? Who does Pentheus want? The leader of what???
    Is it Acoetes?
    Pentheus wants the leader of this new cult/religion which seems to have charmed all his Thebans into following. When I say leader of the new cult it inturn means the god himself, that this new religion is formed around and to whom the sacred rites are carried out. This new god thats strolled into town is Bacchus also know as Liber (i know it confusuing but its a point in itself as Liber refers to freedom) who is the god of wine and ecstacy (not the drug but the emotion!!!) Acoetes is just a supposed follower and companion of Bacchus (who we learnt to have come across Bacchus when he was sailing with his crew but his crew decided to drag some kid they found one day when taking a rest on land) Acoetes is brought in front of Pentheus because when P's servants were sent to find Bacchus they couldn't find him so settled for his follower instead (acoetes). Now theres a little twist, because it is suggested that despite Acoetes being a character that appears in Ovid's works before this story, it is suggested that the Acoetes we see here in this section is actually Bacchus under disguise. We can speculate with things such as the way he venerates himself when telling of the impious crew and the way the gates of his prison cell miraculously open and basically the fact that this poem is all about 'metamorphoses'! I know this is a lot but i hope it help!

ReputationRep:
    Pentheus wants the leader of this new cult/religion which seems to have charmed all his Thebans into following. When I say leader of the new cult it inturn means the god himself, that this new religion is formed around and to whom the sacred rites are carried out. This new god thats strolled into town is Bacchus also know as Liber (i know it confusuing but its a point in itself as Liber refers to freedom) who is the god of wine and ecstacy (not the drug but the emotion!!!) Acoetes is just a supposed follower and companion of Bacchus (who we learnt to have come across Bacchus when he was sailing with his crew but his crew decided to drag some kid they found one day when taking a rest on land) Acoetes is brought in front of Pentheus because when P's servants were sent to find Bacchus they couldn't find him so settled for his follower instead (acoetes). Now theres a little twist, because it is suggested that despite Acoetes being a character that appears in Ovid's works before this story, it is suggested that the Acoetes we see here in this section is actually Bacchus under disguise. We can speculate with things such as the way he venerates himself when telling of the impious crew and the way the gates of his prison cell miraculously open and basically the fact that this poem is all about 'metamorphoses'! I know this is a lot but i hope it help!
    Thanks!! That's interesting.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.