Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Farage Stays as UKIP Leader Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32696505

Nigel Farage is to remain as UKIP leader after the party rejected his resignation.
    Mr Farage said he would stand down after failing to win a seat in last week's general election.
    But the party said there was "overwhelmingly evidence" the UKIP membership did not want Mr Farage to go.
    It said: "He has therefore been persuaded to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP."

your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Was always going to happen. UKIP is nothing without Farage and vice versa. I just hope skybet honours my bet for him being the next permanent leader.

ReputationRep:
    On seven occasions the electorate have made it quite clear: they do not want him as an MP. You've got to admire his perseverance.

He's like one of those people who goes to X Factor auditions every year.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha. He's just as bad as any other politician. Joke of a party, joke of a man.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying so hard to care about this.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant news.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if he'll accept it. People forget a resignation has to be accepted, which it hasn't. Technically, yes, he is the leader. Nothing has really changed, he is going on his first real holiday in over 15 years, and is going to decide if he wants to stay. You can't force him to be leader you know

---edit, just as I say this, he accepts his leadership

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I don't know if he'll accept it. People forget a resignation has to be accepted, which it hasn't. Technically, yes, he is the leader. Nothing has really changed, he is going on his first real holiday in over 15 years, and is going to decide if he wants to stay. You can't force him to be leader you know
    "On that basis Mr Farage withdrew his resignation and will remain leader of UKIP. In addition the NEC recognised that the referendum campaign has already begun this week and we need our best team to fight that campaign led by Nigel. He has therefore been persuaded by the NEC to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP."
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    "On that basis Mr Farage withdrew his resignation and will remain leader of UKIP. In addition the NEC recognised that the referendum campaign has already begun this week and we need our best team to fight that campaign led by Nigel. He has therefore been persuaded by the NEC to withdraw his resignation and remains leader of UKIP."
    didn't hear that, obviously for me that's good news. When he said "it's curtains for me" sort of sounds like he's taking a nap, and in the morning he will open them again.

ReputationRep:
    If the torries do something about immigration then Ukip is over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I'm trying so hard to care about this.
    He's charismatic and if he starts talking about PR or some kind electoral reform it will get that idea out there. Silver linings and all that.

I desperately want electoral reform
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is highly amusing. Anti-politics and not a one man band my ass, he should at least go up against a token candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTruthTeller)
    If the torries do something about immigration then Ukip is over.
    They can't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    He's charismatic and if he starts talking about PR or some kind electoral reform it will get that idea out there. Silver linings and all that.

I desperately want electoral reform
    Someone has the decency to respect the man, yes I hope he pushes for av as that's what he personally likes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    This is highly amusing. Anti-politics and not a one man band my ass, he should at least go up against a token candidate.
    As widely predicted, UKIP will now drift into nothingness, although they will be back if Cammie refuses the referendum with some complex story about having won concessions in the EU. :teehee:

I lol'ed this morning listening to an EU Commissioner discussing Dave's campaign for reforms and UK concessions. He was happy to agree to changes, "provided they do not undermine or alter the overall plan for European integration". In other words, lots of changes, providing they in no way give the Tory backbenchers what they actually want. Although I like aspects of EU co-operation, it's actually deeply comic, in a dark way, that Brussels still has no idea of the general perception of the EU project and still robotically runs the fantasy of an ever-closer union in the teeth of massive public opposition.

I'm starting to think they do need teaching a lesson.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Their main mistake was getting rid of Godfrey Bloom. I don't think Farage leaving now would be good for them when they are just in the process of becoming Britain's 3rd party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    As widely predicted, UKIP will now drift into nothingness, although they will be back if Cammie refuses the referendum with some complex story about having won concessions in the EU. :teehee:

I lol'ed this morning listening to an EU Commissioner discussing Dave's campaign for reforms and UK concessions. He was happy to agree to changes, "provided they do not undermine or alter the overall plan for European integration". In other words, lots of changes, providing they in no way give the Tory backbenchers what they actually want. Although I like aspects of EU co-operation, it's actually deeply comic, in a dark way, that Brussels still has no idea of the general perception of the EU project and still robotically runs the fantasy of an ever-closer union in the teeth of massive public opposition.

I'm starting to think they do need teaching a lesson.
    That's because the EU as an institution is self serving. So long as key members like Germany stay the course then the EU can simply wait out member states who don't tow the line safe in the knowledge that in 5-10 years a pro-EU government will be elected.

Plus what the skeptics don't understand is apathy. Most Europeans still vote for pro-EU parties because they either don't care or don't turn out to oppose them in EU elections.

Ukip's earthquake amounted to third place in Germany and Spain for example, barely a tremmer for the two bigger parties. Podemos is obviously challenging them main parties in Spain but even they apparently wish to stay in the EU.

What a surprise... Kept his pledge for an entire two days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    On seven occasions the electorate have made it quit clear: they do not want him as an MP. You've got to admire his perseverance.

He's like one of those people who goes to X Factor auditions every year.
    haha brilliant

but why would they want to give up their 80 grand a year and expenses MEP job anyway ?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.