Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

UKIP reject Nigel Farage's resignation & he remains party leader Watch

ReputationRep:
    UKIP have rejected Nigel Farage's resignation & he remains party leader!!!!

Wonderful news

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ty-leader.html

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32696505

God love him.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Tories forever!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Farage was likely planning this all along.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome news.

ReputationRep:
    he's a very clever leader, unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Farage was likely planning this all along.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Yes really. He's manipulative and clever, I would really not be surprised if this was pre-arranged. It's a perfect strategy really, Farage keeps his promise to stand down if he loses South Thanet, thus keeping his public integrity. Then the party top brass vouch for him, which generates some good PR in the media and makes Farage look like a reliable leader. Absolutely nothing to lose, really.

ReputationRep:
    This instantly made me feel better after 2 exams.

Farage is love; Farage is life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Yes really. He's manipulative and clever, I would really not be surprised if this was pre-arranged. It's a perfect strategy really, Farage keeps his promise to stand down if he loses South Thanet, thus keeping his public integrity. Then the party top brass vouch for him, which generates some good PR in the media and makes Farage look like a reliable leader. Absolutely nothing to lose, really.
    You seem to have drastically misinterpreted Chandler's face
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    You seem to have drastically misinterpreted Chandler's face
    I'm not very good at Chandlerfaceology. Was that meant to be a sarcastic "really"?

ReputationRep:
    Just the mention of Farage reminds me of one of the most golden moments in election history :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I've always expected Farage to go out with a bang rather than a wimper so not surprised in the slightest. With the amount of votes, he can parallel the anti-EU sentiment with democratic sentiment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This was clearly all one big PR stunt. This way he can say he honoured his pledge, therefore coming off looking like an honest bloke, despite the obvious transparency of this debacle.

This just gives him more exposure in the media - not that he needed it. It's just the Page 3 removal hoax all over again. Ditch the feature and then bring it back days later, having received huge amounts of publicity in the process.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter whether or not it was staged - the fact is he's broken his word by coming back regardless. UKIP supporters aren't going to see it this way since they're more than chuffed that they've managed to keep their greatest asset leading the party, but what he's done here is give the other parties ammunition they can use against him. I think that still would have been the case even if he decided to run again for leader in September, because I was certainly under the impression that it was "curtains for [him]" if he lost in South Thanet.

Though tbh, I don't really buy the "reluctant" shtick myself, more like he conveniently found himself an easy way to get out of the hole he dug himself :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Joke party, joke behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of UKIP but I am a fan of Nigel Farage - as a personality rather than a politician.
    However, UKIP needs him and they wouldn't be anything without him so it was undeniable that he would be back.

ReputationRep:
    Nigel Farage resigning:

ReputationRep:
    He was over-confident about his ability to win and dug himself a hole he couldn't get out of. Luckily for him his party turned up with shovels to give him a hand.

For me, what this says, is that not even UKIP trust UKIP to cut through without Farage as leader.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of butthurt leftists looking for ammunition in this thread.

He said he would resign because he felt confident he would win his seat, he didn't so things obviously didn't go to plan. He resigned and was considering running as leader again after the summer but the party felt strongly he should be leader again. People talk like he was leaving the party, even if he didn't return as leader he would have been an MEP and still been in the public eye a lot.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your GCSE results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.