Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Do you think some TSR users put on a facade when they're posting? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think some users put on a facade?
    yes
    74.14%
    no
    12.93%
    Maybe/on the fence
    12.93%

ReputationRep:
    And more importantly do you think that some of the frequent posters don't actually believe what they're saying but say it to maintain their image or stance on particular issues or areas of life?

Just last night I was reading a thread can't remember what it was about but it had 2/3 people arguing against each other and it quickly devolved into "I'm right and you're wrong". But pushing that aside for a second, I was shocked by some of the opinions and it left me wondering "Does he/she really think this?" and "Are these people sane and sober?".

One user who often leaves me wondering is he serious is Plantagenet (spelling?) some of the stuff he says in the religious section is absolutely insensitive is he like this IRL?

Please answer my two questions first before you give your own input.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Especially online players.

Especially, especially, supremely narcissistic pseudo-intellectual ones.

ReputationRep:
    This is what electronic representations of yourself do. Everything's fake and purely for image. Look at the selfie, and how people try and look like it naturally happened, whereas in actual fact they spent loads of time and effort setting it up etc.

Totally fake and contrived. I bet most members on here are absolutely nothing like you think they are, if you were to meet them irl.

Look at Facebook for example. What a load of fake nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    You making this thread seems pretty ironic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I actually believe that you are one of these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)

Totally fake and contrived. I bet most members on here are absolutely nothing like you think they are, if you were to meet them irl.
    Yep. I've met a few people at meets and they were nothing like their online personality. Pretty disappointing when someone is very chatty online and in threads, but you have to really force them to say a word in person. They realise it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well first we know you're a troll (I've seen you trolling, quite funny stuff actually), so there's no real ground to assume anybody else puts up a "façade."

As for people arguing back and forth, round and round, yup, I don't get it either and I don't participate in it. (You might have seen me around replying to people who try and "debate" the issue with me and I say something like not going to read your next post). Because what's the point? Nobody wins. I'm right, no I'm right. Yawn. Just close the tab/thread/computer and viola it disappears.

As for thinking do people actually think like this, sometimes you can tell when they're trolling but sometimes I do believe they actually think that. (Don't get me started on that bloody alpha and beta crap.) I wouldn't worry about it and just answer how you want to answer (obviously within reason). Not sure why many bat and ball back to each other like they get a huge cookie at the end if they 'defeat' their poster :cookie: It's like a game of thrones battle, minus the cookie now xx

ReputationRep:
    there's only so much stuff I can say or do IRL before I'll get arrested

ReputationRep:
    Who cares/we will never know half the time because most people are anonymous on here.

So basically of course everyone is chatting **** because they can so why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Says the 20-something-year-old that was slut-shaming a 17 year old for having sex at 14.

Did you change your avatar after people were calling you a hypocrite for being holier-than-thou in that thread while boasting your assets on a student forum? You're a the quintessential trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Yes.

I actually believe that you are one of these people.
    Do you mind elucidating further?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daenerys...)
    Says the 20-something-year-old that was slut-shaming a 17 year old for having sex at 14.

Did you change your avatar after people were calling you a hypocrite for being hotter-than-though in that thread while boasting your assets on a student forum? You're a the quintessential trick.

Lol I changed it because I coloured the ends of my hair pink...is is that ok with you? :plz2:

Ps. I corrected your post for you

ReputationRep:
    A show of hands here at the Harvard Society of Fellows says "yes" but when I polled my girlfriends the large majority said "no".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankieboy)
    This is what electronic representations of yourself do. Everything's fake and purely for image. Look at the selfie, and how people try and look like it naturally happened, whereas in actual fact they spent loads of time and effort setting it up etc.

Look at Facebook for example. What a load of fake nonsense.
    I absolutely agree with you and I do think it's 100% worse off TSR i.e. on Facebook and more recently Instagram so many of my friends post suggestive and totally crazy pictures on IG but of course it's been filtered, airbrushed and given the brightness treatment it's totally unnatural. It's like how Kylie Jenner catfishes people on IG when she looks nothing like that IRL.

As for TSR, can you give examples?

ReputationRep:
    Plantagenet Crown is a softie.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind elucidating further?
    I believe you are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    there's only so much stuff I can say or do IRL before I'll get arrested

Hey Smash, what's up?

(Original post by EatAndRevise)
    I believe you are a troll.
    I don't think that's fair.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Smash, what's up?

I don't that's fair.
    I thought I was on your ignore list?

I'm on mod surveillance, were I not still sorting out some mental health problems I could easily be charged with serial trolling of young people, this is my second account and has so far proven to be more popular because I talk less about my own insecurities.

1) Plenty of people would put on a persona here, I mean for one you probably look nothing like nor have any of the social presence of GoT's Daenerys in IRL, and your views on feminism are likely not that radical. As for me you'd have to be a muppet to think that I'm really a talking tiger in a go-kart. Lots of reasons for that behaviour ranging from securing confidentiality in the Information and Surveillance Age to the appeal of 'Second Life' syndrome. For example the people who are really popular on here are probably slightly socially awkward and loners IRL, relatively; not to say they don't have friends but certainly not gods at their college or uni kek. One could say that their TSR popularity is a bit of a power trip. In my case it's avoidance and serious, function-impairing serial addiction to procrastination.

With all that said I find I gel more with TSRians than I do half of my home friends.

2) The views I personally express are extreme but quite serious and have damaged a lot of my relationships, as you will realise if you ever were bored enough to trawl through my archives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    I'd rep this but bloody TSR won't let me
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I pretend I'm ugly and stupid online but in reality I'm a handsome model with huge genitalia.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.