Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Do you think some TSR users put on a facade when they're posting? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think some users put on a facade?
    yes
    74.14%
    no
    12.93%
    Maybe/on the fence
    12.93%

ReputationRep:
    The unspoken mind shines when it won't get judged So I don't think the facade is in here but IRL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    I thought I was on your ignore list?

I'm on mod surveillance, were I not still sorting out some mental health problems I could easily be charged with serial trolling of young people

Plenty of people would put on a persona here, I mean for one you probably look nothing like nor have any of the social presence of GoT's Daenerys in IRL and you'd have to be a muppet to think that I'm really a talking tiger in a go-kart. Lots of reasons for that ranging from securing confidentiality to the appeal of 'Second Life' syndrome
    You were never on my block list, I just said it to evoke a reaction out of you since you were really upset in that particular thread. :P

I am nothing like Daenerys that's not what I meant in my OP. I meant that some people assume a certain role as soon as they log on TSR and have this mask on and they try their absolute best to maintain it in every thread it's rather commendable if for nothing else other than their conviction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daenerys...)
    You were never on my block list, I just said it to evoke a reaction out of you since you were really upset in that particular thread. :P

I am nothing like Daenerys that's not what I meant in my OP. I meant that some people assume a certain role as soon as they log on TSR and have this mask on and they try their absolute best to maintain it in every thread it's rather commendable if for nothing else other than their conviction.
    naughty it's good we're on better terms, then.

'assume a certain role' pot calling kettle black much, as people say?

I literally have no persona. I've been so open at times that it's intimidated people. What you see is what you get. However I've created several fake identity details for the sake of confidentiality and never disclosed nor intend to disclose where I reside/what uni I attended for personal/obvious reasons.

In other people's cases, see edit of my 1st post

ReputationRep:
    Planta is actually very polite considering the utter idiocy he sees on here everyday. I am a lot more aggressive and can't understand how he manages to remain so calm.

Anyone calling him insane and whatnot just disagrees with him -no need to delve into such childish games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    naughty it's good we're on better terms, then.

'assume a certain role' pot calling kettle black much, as people say?

I literally have no persona. I've been so open at times that it's intimidated people. What you see is what you get. However I've created several fake identity details for the sake of confidentiality and never disclosed nor intend to disclose where I reside/what uni I attended for personal/obvious reasons.

In other people's cases, see edit of my 1st post
    Well I think you're bit of an extreme case but you're on the right track I think that people use the anonymity to throw people off their IRL failings and what not also there's nothing wrong with wanting some privacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Lol I changed it because I coloured the ends of my hair pink...is is that ok with you? :plz2:

Ps. I corrected your post for you
    Hotter? You're quite minging
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Probably.

I'd say some people, in general, put on a front whenever they're conversing, regardless of the situation/location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirCouchus)
    Hotter? You're quite minging
    It was a joke

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously very easy to pretend to be someone else when you're interacting with people through a medium in which you are anonymous to them.

ReputationRep:
    Im actually a wizard though.

ReputationRep:
    can confirm most of the stuff i say is bants

(Original post by A5ko)
    Im actually a wizard though.
    u wot m(y=8x => dy/dx=?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    can confirm most of the stuff i say is bants

u wot m(y=8x => dy/dx=?)

Err. I left my erm... magical.. calc... BOOK at home, otherwise yea..

Yep. More than some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protégé)
    Plantagenet Crown is a softie.
    He's banned now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daenerys...)

Please answer my two questions first before you give your own input.
    I'm sorry, I can't cope with this challenge. I'm on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nucleotide)
    He's banned now
    Around somewhere as EdmundWoodstock probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hehehehe...)
    Around somewhere as EdmundWoodstock probably
    Lol I think they're two different people
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Some may be more confident online. All views I express on here are ones I actually do hold or wonder about in real life, but I rarely express them that way in real life. Partly due to being mildly socially awkward, partly due to not always being in a proper situation to express them (e.g. I don't talk about politics as much with friends in real life as I do on here).

ReputationRep:
    This is the internet...

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe they actually put up a facade irl and open their masks on tsr?

Think about it.

If people were actually as rude irl as they are allowed to be on TSR, they'd get beaten up like everyday. But here, they can express their most extreme views and do whatever they want to do, with the most serious of consequences being perma-ban, which they can easily solve by opening up a new account really

No this isn't about me

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.