Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Do you think some TSR users put on a facade when they're posting? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think some users put on a facade?
    yes
    74.14%
    no
    12.93%
    Maybe/on the fence
    12.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    You can choose to be whoever you want on the internet, and people still choose to be stupid

nice catfish avatar lol worse than kylie jenner

ReputationRep:
    Some do.

I am very much myself - witty, clever, humorous- I mean how would you describe me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Daenerys...)
    nice catfish avatar lol worse than kylie jenner
    catfish avatar? LOOOL what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    Some do.

I am very much myself - witty, clever, humorous- I mean how would you describe me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can believe that.

:love:

ReputationRep:
    I can believe that.

:love:
    Good, subtle sarcasm there, I see.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In the shroud of anonymity people say and do stuff they wouldn't usually be associated with. I don't consciously put a facade up but the odds are that I'm slightly different IRL, I imagine myself to be one of the more "life like" online figures in this way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I assume people do - we're online after all. I personally think I come across pretty similar in real life to the way I do here - but that's not necessarily a good thing.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I've met a lot of people from TSR in person and I've never really thought a person was different from who I expected them to be. That being said, I do think plenty of people do put up a bit of a facade, because it's much easier to be who you want to be online and to experiment.

Some people are trolls, some are internet tough guys, some are forum flirts and some post embellishments about themselves. But I think these people don't tend to go to meets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I've met a lot of people from TSR in person and I've never really thought a person was different from who I expected them to be. That being said, I do think plenty of people do put up a bit of a facade, because it's much easier to be who you want to be online and to experiment.

Some people are trolls, some are internet tough guys, some are forum flirts and some post embellishments about themselves. But I think these people don't tend to go to meets.
    What would you classify me as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    What would you classify me as?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think I know you well enough to judge.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, it is a lot easier to create and maintain and image online, than it is in reality. I think most people like the seperation of an online representation of themselves, and a real, if you will, representation of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    No not at all...

ReputationRep:
    I just try to be myself... a nerd who is good at helping people out with Physics and Maths work :P

It's not fun pretending to be someone you're not. You begin forget to forget who you really are...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    This guy named Foo.mp3, tries to be an online player
    1) I have never in my life attempted to be a player; manipulation is immoral/immature (delete as appropriate)

2) I don't really "try" all that hard when it comes to picking up women on TSR; mostly just self-amuse/occasionally flirt in a caricature manner and every so often a girl takes a shine to me for whatever reason. If I take a shine to her too then I might 'try' to get to know her, and see where it leads. Just ask queen-bee, for example, she gamed me

3) Why should me presenting myself as a player, when in fact I am a monk, bother you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah obviously, half the **** we all say on here we wouldn't dare say in real life, nor would any of us dare be as arrogant as some of us are irl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    1) I have never in my life attempted to be a player; manipulation is immoral/immature (delete as appropriate)

2) I don't really "try" all that hard when it comes to picking up women on TSR; mostly just self-amuse/occasionally flirt in a caricature manner and every so often a girl takes a shine to me for whatever reason. If I take a shine to her too then I might 'try' to get to know her, and see where it leads. Just ask queen-bee, for example, she gamed me

3) Why should me presenting myself as a player, when in fact I am a monk, bother you?
    Doesn't really bother me, but if you look at the title of the thread, I hold the belief that you fit within this general framework

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)

I would attend a meet up and I have been called every one of those negative online behaviours on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And more importantly do you think that some of the frequent posters don't actually believe what they're saying but say it to maintain their image or stance on particular issues or areas of life?

Just last night I was reading a thread can't remember what it was about but it had 2/3 people arguing against each other and it quickly devolved into "I'm right and you're wrong". But pushing that aside for a second, I was shocked by some of the opinions and it left me wondering "Does he/she really think this?" and "Are these people sane and sober?".

One user who often leaves me wondering is he serious is Plantagenet (spelling?) some of the stuff he says in the religious section is absolutely insensitive is he like this IRL?

Please answer my two questions first before you give your own input.
    Dunno didn't read those but i don't think so. A lot of people have these thoughts and feelings that they would never dare to express irl because they are socially unacceptable. This stuff comes out online.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a bad thing. There is so much information you are yet to learn on any topic you debate. You don't know enough yet to be a valid source of opinion anyway. So it's okay to argue for a view you don't really have. It will enlighten you to new information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Doesn't really bother me, but if you look at the title of the thread, I hold the belief that you fit within this general framework
    Clearly it goes bother you. You don't know him personally to be making such judgements,he's a down to earth kinda guy and very considerate,never once has he been manipulative

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.