Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Do you think some TSR users put on a facade when they're posting? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think some users put on a facade?
    yes
    74.14%
    no
    12.93%
    Maybe/on the fence
    12.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    1) I have never in my life attempted to be a player; manipulation is immoral/immature (delete as appropriate)

2) I don't really "try" all that hard when it comes to picking up women on TSR; mostly just self-amuse/occasionally flirt in a caricature manner and every so often a girl takes a shine to me for whatever reason. If I take a shine to her too then I might 'try' to get to know her, and see where it leads. Just ask queen-bee, for example, she gamed me

3) Why should me presenting myself as a player, when in fact I am a monk, bother you?
    And I don't regret it one bit,you're a genuine and lovely person.

ReputationRep:
    Probably. The Internet is rather well known for it.

Having said that, I do think the Internet brings out the real person more often than might be obvious. I think there are people who are genuinely that arrogant, bigoted, stupid, belligerent, attention-seeking or just odd, and their whole 'real life' is a facade. Lots of people are genuine extremists who have to tenderise their public persona; the digital cretin they inhabit is probably the closest thing they have to a comfortable skin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    I hold the belief that you fit within this general framework
    Yet you can offer up no evidence to substantiate this belief :dontknow:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Of the girls I've hooked up with from TSR over the years, only one would be at all likely to grumble about my conduct, but IRL (because I didn't want to be exclusive with her); the rest would all tell you that I make no particular effort to come off as a 'player' either in seriously communicating with them on here, or IRL

(Original post by queen-bee)
    he's a down to earth kinda guy and very considerate, never once has he been manipulative
    Oh look, right on cue, my first character witness!

(Original post by queen-bee)
    And I don't regret it one bit, you're a genuine and lovely person
    Stop it, you'll give me an ego.. :camp:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Oh no wait.. :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :tong: :perv: :smug: :danceboy: :smug: :perv: :tong:
    :awesome: TOO LATE! :awesome:
    :tong: :perv: :smug: :danceboy: :smug: :perv: :tong:

I wouldn't say I put on a facade, but it is certainly easier to talk openly on here and trust people than I would in RL (where I am very shy).

If one was to get deep, I would say there's a bit of a facade both IRL and online for me, but I think the only person to have noticed that is Shop Friend. And he still talks to me regardless, so I don't suppose the true true true me is all that bad. :shy2:

ReputationRep:
    Not really , putting up a facade takes effort.

Im more of an alternative perception than a full blown facade. Kind of like Planet X before the discovery of Pluto, or black Stig from old episodes of top gear who now never even existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Some people are trolls, some are internet tough guys, some are forum flirts and some post embellishments about themselves.
    You forgot the keyboard warriors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    I would attend a meet up and I have been called every one of those negative online behaviours on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would but, have you?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    You forgot the keyboard warriors!
    Haha how could I forget?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Yep. I've met a few people at meets and they were nothing like their online personality. Pretty disappointing when someone is very chatty online and in threads, but you have to really force them to say a word in person. They realise it as well.
    I think I'm the opposite. I find it far easier to make conversation in real life than I do online.

ReputationRep:
    You would but, have you?
    I haven't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arieisit)
    I haven't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's my point. Claims about hypothetical situations are worthless. Claims about actual situations are the only ones worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    That's my point. Claims about hypothetical situations are worthless. Claims about actual situations are the only ones worth reading.
    Buy my plane ticket and I'll be there 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so but I'm not sure whether this is generally done intentionally.

We all behave differently depending on the situation. To family, friends, colleagues and on the internet. This is a student forum so I think it perhaps encourages a certain type of persona. I certainly feel silly after typing "sumthing lyk dis" and then notice a well written response typed by another user.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.