Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

First Year Accommodation~~Help! (Animation) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR, probably not the smartest move to leave it this late as the booking starts today. I'd like to know about any current student's experiences with any of the halls, and the pro's and cons. Right now I'm leaning towards Grosvenor more than anything due to the wifi and apparently the room sizes are spacious too. En-suite is a big factor.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Yrral,

Firstly good choice!

Secondly, if you don't get any feedback from the other TSRers, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about Grosvenor House.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for replying. A few questions, first is there some sort of deadline concerning when to book a possible place to stay? I understand it would become a first come first serve basis, but is there a formal deadline?
    Next is how far is DMU from the place?
    Lastly, is there a way to choose specifics, like who you live with? Preferences?

ReputationRep:
    i know this isn't relevant to the thread but are you also doing animation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyoka)
    i know this isn't relevant to the thread but are you also doing animation?
    Hi yeh I am are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrral)
    Hi yeh I am are you?
    i am! i couldnt find anyone haha i know there are only suposed to be like 40 people in our subject so i was wondering when id bump into someone

ReputationRep:
    IMO Filbert Village is by far the best value for money, a very minor con is that its about a 10 minutes walk from campus, which may not seem very long but once you get here you'll understand where I'm coming from. Also, flat parties tend to get shut down pretty quickly as Filbert is the hub for Unite security in Leicester. I booked my flat here in July last year, so don't worry about being late.

I viewed Grovesnor House as a possible 2nd year choice. I really wouldn't bother with any of the flats/rooms unless you're going for the Silver± or Gold± suites which are really expensive. However, a bonus is that it's very close to campus.

Newarke is really expensive for what it is (pretty much the same rooms as Filbert) but its on campus and from my experience, the most sociable halls.

Bede is very cheap. Rooms aren't bad but they aren't great either and you'll be sharing a bathroom/toilet with about 8 other people.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yrral)
    Hi, thanks for replying. A few questions, first is there some sort of deadline concerning when to book a possible place to stay? I understand it would become a first come first serve basis, but is there a formal deadline?
    Next is how far is DMU from the place?
    Lastly, is there a way to choose specifics, like who you live with? Preferences?
    Hi Yrral,

There is no deadline I believe, but it is a first-come-first-serve basis. I would advise you to contact DMU's accommodation team for an up-to-date allocation list on availability (we don't have access to their systems), and they can let you know what is left available.

However, if you find that the room options you're looking for have been taken already, as we allocate a number of rooms for DMU students, you can contact Grosvenor House directly and be offered a similar room option.

Grosvenor House is on Newarke Road - directly across the road from the DMU campus. MAP

If you have preferences of who you would like to live with, you can state that in the application IE. Friends, same-sex, just first years, just postgraduates etc. - we would do our best to accommodate that.

Hope that helps!

(Original post by DMUSTUDENT)
    I really wouldn't bother with any of the flats/rooms unless you're going for the Silver± or Gold± suites which are really expensive.
    Hey DMUS, could I ask what makes you think that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prodigy Living)
    Hey DMUS, could I ask what makes you think that?
    I viewed the Silver± flat first and was impressed. I then viewed the bronze/silver and just thought the rooms were too small and the furniture was poor quality, the sofa looked like a metal bench with half an inch of cushioning.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.