Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I'm currently studying AS Government and Politics and I'm really struggling to get more than 25 on those big 40 mark questions.
    The Unit 2 exam is on the 4th of June and I'd really like to get a handle on those questions by then.
    Any suggested formats/structures to the essays?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher always tells us to follow a structure of:
    Very short/brief introduction with main points but not extremely long as it wastes time.
    At least 4 or 5 arguments for/supporting the question e.g To what extent have constitutional reforms since 1997 made the UK more democratic, 4 ways in which it has
    At least 3 or 4 arguments against
    Elaborated conclusion

(He also says that if you include counter points to each or most of the points you will probably get more marks, e.g One constitutional reform that has made the UK more democratic is the House of Lords reform act 1999...... Then at the end of the paragraph add a very brief counter point such as: But, the House of Lords Act remains incomplete and because no peers are elected it remains undemocratic.)
    The counter points shouldn't be long as the arguments in the main body of the essay will be the ones that are fully elaborated, but they should just give a brief, specific 'opposing' view.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I sat this exam last year and i'm retaking. I got 158 UMS in it, so i'm retaking to get a high A (I already have an A in AS politics).

In my exam for the 40 marker I remember I did 5 paragraphs (main content). I think the question was on the way parliament has accountability. I did 3 for and 2 against.

The best lay out in my opinion is 3 for and 3 against, small intro defining key words and a conclusion to express judgement.

The key to gaining an A in politics is evaluation, so revise your statistics and grab some statistics on the recent election and some examples of people in cabinet/HoL.

I also highly suggest MyRevision notes on AS politics.

I revised for four days last year for this topic and had a bad teacher, so i think that let me down overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpe_diem09)
    My teacher always tells us to follow a structure of:
    Very short/brief introduction with main points but not extremely long as it wastes time.
    At least 4 or 5 arguments for/supporting the question e.g To what extent have constitutional reforms since 1997 made the UK more democratic, 4 ways in which it has
    At least 3 or 4 arguments against
    Elaborated conclusion

(He also says that if you include counter points to each or most of the points you will probably get more marks, e.g One constitutional reform that has made the UK more democratic is the House of Lords reform act 1999...... Then at the end of the paragraph add a very brief counter point such as: But, the House of Lords Act remains incomplete and because no peers are elected it remains undemocratic.)
    The counter points shouldn't be long as the arguments in the main body of the essay will be the ones that are fully elaborated, but they should just give a brief, specific 'opposing' view.

Hope this helps
    Hey
    But if you do the counter points WITHIN the paragraph like you said....what would you write for the negative side of view that the reform changes since 1997 have not make the UK very democratic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahtg)
    Hi! I sat this exam last year and i'm retaking. I got 158 UMS in it, so i'm retaking to get a high A (I already have an A in AS politics).

In my exam for the 40 marker I remember I did 5 paragraphs (main content). I think the question was on the way parliament has accountability. I did 3 for and 2 against.

The best lay out in my opinion is 3 for and 3 against, small intro defining key words and a conclusion to express judgement.

The key to gaining an A in politics is evaluation, so revise your statistics and grab some statistics on the recent election and some examples of people in cabinet/HoL.

I also highly suggest MyRevision notes on AS politics.

I revised for four days last year for this topic and had a bad teacher, so i think that let me down overall.
    You know the conclusion..is it your personal opinion

I know that mights sound a silly Qu, but in Sociology the conclusion isn't supposed to be what you think...you can actually lose marks that way...as you have to write through the sociologists eyes....

So in politics can you say...I think the FPTP electoral system should be retained because....blah blah blah? Or do you have to go with the general consensus that the system is unfair and should be reformed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    You know the conclusion..is it your personal opinion

I know that mights sound a silly Qu, but in Sociology the conclusion isn't supposed to be what you think...you can actually lose marks that way...as you have to write through the sociologists eyes....

So in politics can you say...I think the FPTP electoral system should be retained because....blah blah blah? Or do you have to go with the general consensus that the system is unfair and should be reformed?
    It basically is your judgement, however i never usually put personal pronouns in my essay as it makes the essay look/sound less effective.

When I conclude i usually start with "In conclusion, the House of lords is an outdated institution" Then i select my most significant point to express this judgement "This can be shown through the way that the House of Lords is unelected." And if you cant, try evaluate more by comparing to other aspects. E.G "Although the HoL was reformed in 2012(i dont know the specific date) to remove hereditary peers. 92 still remain, highlighting the lack of democracy".

Make sure you have stated your argument in the main body of your essay though!

ReputationRep:
    It's little different from the 25 markers.

Make all the points for the view / argument in the question (make sure to develop and use real life examples - good to do a bit of online or newspaper research for this), and then all the points against. You don't have to have equal points for and against but it's a good idea to have a close-ish balance.

The difference with the 40 markers is mainly that you need to write more. It depends on your handwriting but my 40 markers are about 3 pages.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.