Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Here's an experience I'm sure many can relate to:

You give someone a detention for messing around in class. In detention, they say the inevitable: "but it wasn't just me! ____ was off-task as well! Now, maybe experienced teachers are good enough to avoid any inconsistency in their disciplinary action, but as a trainee I find it difficult to pick up on everything. In any case, students require certain strategies, and it may not necessarily be the best thing to give them a detention. So essentially a certain amount of hypocrisy is inevitable, and this kid probably has a completely valid complaint. However, it doesn't change the fact that he nonetheless behaved as he did.

Now, that's all fine and well, but I haven't yet figured out a really good stock response phrase to shoot back at pupils that say this to me. I normally end up conceding and then saying - rather weakly - "I can't notice everything" (which is a bit disingenuous, as it isn't a case of 'noticing'). One teacher told me she says "I don't want to discuss them, we're talking about you here", but that would only reinforce the student's perception that you're picking on him.

So has anyone figured out the perfect stock response in this scenario?

ReputationRep:
    the perfect stock response:

(Original post by Squoosh25)
    it doesn't change the fact that he nonetheless behaved as he did.
    This.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    "but it wasn't just me!"
    "So what? Take responsibility for YOUR actions and stop trying to blame others for YOUR poor behaviour."

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.