Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

The more 'equity' there is in a country, the less incentive there is for hard work Watch

ReputationRep:
    just saying for all those people who scream 'equity' arguments in anything related to economics
    production possibility curve for ppc and equity.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CancerousProblem)
    just saying for all those people who scream 'equity' arguments in anything related to economics
    production possibility curve for ppc and equity.
    Where is that taken from?
    Why would that be the case?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    People tend to be decadent and lazy no matter what their socio-economic status is, unless they're literally on the borderline of survival they're never going to relish hard work if there's an alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Where is that taken from?
    Why would that be the case?
    i said it first
    i drwe the ppc as well
    all me

ReputationRep:
    i said it first
    i drwe the ppc as well
    all me
    Talk about brevity, lol...
    Money isn't the only thing that matters in a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    People tend to be decadent and lazy no matter what their socio-economic status is, unless they're literally on the borderline of survival they're never going to relish hard work if there's an alternative.
    do you think? Surely it's hard to generalize between different types of people (obviously) but also between different kinds of work...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dickson)
    do you think? Surely it's hard to generalize between different types of people (obviously) but also between different kinds of work...
    Well yeah it is a generalisation. Everyone has their own definition of "hard work", some may relish working in an office, others might despise it. Thing is, most people won't pick a harder job over an easier one, all other factors being equal. There's just no incentive to work hard for the sake of it, if there's a better option available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Well yeah it is a generalisation. Everyone has their own definition of "hard work", some may relish working in an office, others might despise it. Thing is, most people won't pick a harder job over an easier one, all other factors being equal. There's just no incentive to work hard for the sake of it, if there's a better option available.
    The reason why the two jobs are more or less the same in the first place is because the higher paid job that needs you to work harder (either in the actual job or to get the qualifications required for it) has all that extra income taken away by tax anyway.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    The reason why the two jobs are more or less the same in the first place is because the higher paid job that needs you to work harder (either in the actual job or to get the qualifications required for it) has all that extra income taken away by tax anyway.
    That's not how the tax system works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Isn't this where the nature of the work comes into it? Not talking about the setting so much. Personal investment (not financial) and interest/passion surely count. Unless your point is that it's so much of a pleasure to do that it doesn't classify as work?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.