Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Arm aches Watch

ReputationRep:
    I pulled open a heavy door on Friday and since then my shoulder has been aching. It's not a severe pain that requires medication or medical help but more like a dull persistent ache. It feels similar to when you get a injection and it feels heavy afterwards, only a little more severe. It's been 3 days now and I was wondering how long it would take to recover. I assume I have just stretched my muscle but I read that it should be better within a few days and obviously it isn't. The ache is actually getting more persistent. Should I see the doctor or am I just overreacting? Is there anything that I could do to speed up the process? I do move it from time to time and obviously have to move it to shower, drive etc. Thanks very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you book an appointment to see a doctor you won't get an emergency one and will probably have to wait for quite some time (depending on your area.) If you haven't already tried using paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve the pain then after all that waiting that's the advice they'll give you. My entirely non professional advice is to use a mild pain killer to manage the pain if you need it, to try to rest the shoulder in question, and to only go to your doctor if it persists long term, or if you get a loss of function in the limb, or the pain gets much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    If you book an appointment to see a doctor you won't get an emergency one and will probably have to wait for quite some time (depending on your area.) If you haven't already tried using paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve the pain then after all that waiting that's the advice they'll give you. My entirely non professional advice is to use a mild pain killer to manage the pain if you need it, to try to rest the shoulder in question, and to only go to your doctor if it persists long term, or if you get a loss of function in the limb, or the pain gets much worse.
    Thanks for replying. It's manageable without pain killers so I don't want to depend on them until it's unbearable. I will wait until the end of the week and if there's no improvement then see my doctor. I can get an appointment on the same day or the day after which is alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Book a doctors appointment and take paracetamol in the meantime. Massage it and move it gently then if it hasn't got better by the time your appointment is up then go to see him, if it gets better then a few days before call and cancel the appointment so someone else can have it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When I hurt my shoulder recently, the doctor told me not to rest it too much as shoulder injuries easily become stiff if you don't use them. Other than that I think ibuprofen if necessary and a doctor if it doesn't get better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    When I hurt my shoulder recently, the doctor told me not to rest it too much as shoulder injuries easily become stiff if you don't use them. Other than that I think ibuprofen if necessary and a doctor if it doesn't get better soon.
    I know every injury isn't the same but how long did yours take to recover? I do move it frequently because once I injured my neck and the doctor told me I had to move it aswell. Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
    Book a doctors appointment and take paracetamol in the meantime. Massage it and move it gently then if it hasn't got better by the time your appointment is up then go to see him, if it gets better then a few days before call and cancel the appointment so someone else can have it.
    I do move it but I'll try massaging it aswell thanks. I can get the same say appointment because I did that last time so I will go on Thursday or Friday if it doesn't improve. Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r-t)
    I know every injury isn't the same but how long did yours take to recover? I do move it frequently because once I injured my neck and the doctor told me I had to move it aswell. Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine was my neck and shoulder and took about 3 months but that was with physiotherapy as well. Yours is hopefully not that severe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Mine was my neck and shoulder and took about 3 months but that was with physiotherapy as well. Yours is hopefully not that severe.
    Oh gosh no I don't think mine is that severe, it's got a slightly bit better now though. Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.