Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Do you think white people have advantages ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Everyone can be subjected to discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ofcourse. But people who are different from the majority of the population like the disabled, LGBT, religion and ethnic minorities experience a greater level of discrimination. If you are English and middle class for example you are likely to be at an advantage and likely to have more opportunities than those that do not fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAbyss)
    Ofcourse. But people who are different from the majority of the population like the disabled, LGBT, religion and ethnic minorities experience a greater level of discrimination. If you are English and middle class for example you are likely to be at an advantage and likely to have more opportunities than those that do not fit in.
    Discrimination is discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Discrimination is discrimination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, the question posed in this thread is whether white people have advantages in the UK and I have explained in previous posts why this is the case. There have been countless reports and studies done to show that ethnic minorities are at a disadvantage in so many aspects of society in the UK which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you can't see why this is the case then I see no point in discussing this further, because I have really explained this thoroughly in my other posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAbyss)
    Well, the question posed in this thread is whether white people have advantages in the UK and I have explained in previous posts why this is the case. There have been countless reports and studies done to show that ethnic minorities are at a disadvantage in so many aspects of society in the UK which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If you can't see why this is the case then I see no point in discussing this further, because I have really explained this thoroughly in my other posts.
    Actually the OP never mentions the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well the source you listed says that men earn 17.5% more than women, but that's comparing average wage. It confirms this when mentioning that the pay gap is reversed in Northern Ireland, “The small ‘negative’ gender pay gap in Northern Ireland is in part due to a higher proportion of public sector jobs here than in the rest of the UK. There are more women employed in this sector than men and these jobs tend to be higher paid in general than in the private sector.” So why's it ok to argue the pay gap in favour of women because they take better paid jobs than men, but when we look at pay gap in favour of men this is ignored? Simply put, if men are more likely to work a greater number of hours in better paid positions, they get paid more.

If a woman works the same number of hours, in the same job as a man, she should be paid the same. I completely agree with that. I think that anything else would be an injustice.

More OT: As a white male I don't feel any everyday privilege, but I am aware that it does exist. Although it's not institutionalised like in previous generations. We only have to look at America to see that there is still racial bias in western society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackRose)
    Everyone always says your lucky and stuff. I don't think white people have advantages or anything in society
    WHITE BOY BE LIKE, KISS ME

ReputationRep:
    People talk as if white people are all the same in regards to wealth, health, ethnicity (English aren't the only native white people in Britain), height, weight, area they come from etc its just a poor ignorant generalisation.

Those things matter far more than just skin colour. I'm Welsh and probably recieve more open discrimination that most non-white people, its considered socially acceptable towards me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilkaya)
    white boy be like, kiss me

lmao wtf ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capitalismstinks)
    No, they do not. White working class are the bottom of the shoe in UK. Certain minority groups have special priviledged status where they are beyond reproach.

If white people did have advantages, it's is because they are a majority because it's there own continent. Those who do not like that can leave and be part of racial majority if thats what they want. But people are hypocrites I have noticed so they will stay here and whinge and whine.

I am mixed, and my white working class side of family work tremendously hard every day. This talk of white priviledge is just so utterly offensive.
    I agree. I was once told by a black female student to 'check my privilege'. My jaw nearly dropped off I was like 'excuse me I was brought up on a council estate, raised by a single mum, went to **** excuses of schools, worked since I was 16 in a dirty dangerous physical job, hung around with drug dealers and had my first criminal conviction by the time I was 13 how dare you assume you know **** about my life based on the colour of my skin'. The thing that really got me mad was that she is middle class and led a fairly pampered life (never worked, lived on student loans, had mummy and daddy buy every desire).

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.