Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

General Election Results – May 2015 Watch

ReputationRep:
    They really should increase the number of seats in the MHOC. A lot of people want to be MPs but may not have the opportunity to.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    They really should increase the number of seats in the MHOC. A lot of people want to be MPs but may not have the opportunity to.
    With average voter turnout being 40mp's I would say that is anything we need to shrink.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    We don't get a full MP turnout in division though (usually averages around 38 from what I've seen). Whilst it may be the case that a lot of people want to be MPs, it's up to the parties themselves to choose the right members who will vote and not just treat it as an honorary title. If we get consistently high 40s in terms of turnout there would be more justification for increasing the number of seats, but doing so isn't a good idea for now.

ReputationRep:
    What a shame this isn't a reflection of the real general election results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    With average voter turnout being 40mp's I would say that is anything we need to shrink.
    Do you have a voting record of the MPs in the last Parliament?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately because the inadequate Faland was the speaker for the majority of it, no voting records were done/ maintained, but usually the speaker keeps a track.

I do hope Birchington, being the great guy he does keeps them, and thus should MPS not have a good voting record, it turns into a by-election!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Unfortunately because the inadequate Faland was the speaker for the majority of it, no voting records were done/ maintained, but usually the speaker keeps a track.

I do hope Birchington, being the great guy he does keeps them, and thus should MPS not have a good voting record, it turns into a by-election!
    I do hope so too. As representatives, MPs should be held accountable to their electors, and if they aren't doing their job, they should just leave.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which party are you in? And there was one done but due to mass inactivity a second one wasn't performed.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talentedlobster)
    After seeing lots of different ways it is done, my personal favourite is the leader/deputy pick a small group of candidates that they strongly want as MP's and then hold a party vote on the borderline MP's which they cannot choose between.
    There is nothing like having all of the power focused in the hands of a two-strong elite who choose the MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Which party are you in? And there was one done but due to mass inactivity a second one wasn't performed.
    I'm in UKIP. Is mass inactivity common btw?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm in UKIP. Is mass inactivity common btw?
    I would say that there are times when the house is basically dead and it happens all the time yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I also think there should be an increase in MP seats to 60 as we have the members to support it, but parties are incapable of choosing MPs who continually votes, or replacing MPs if their voting record falls below 80%. In UKIP we have a policy where any MP whose voting record falls below 80% is replaced unless they can provide exceptional reasons for their lack of voting. Unless the exceptional circumstances have been resolved the MP will be replaced until the circumstances subside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The worst part of being a leader or deputy leader is having to decide a way to determine who gets to be an MP and tell all of those who missed out.
    Why not simply put it to a vote - lol.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Why not simply put it to a vote - lol.
    It takes too long as voting takes three days or six if the votes includes a manifesto stage. By having a system where activity and contribution is awarded there is an incentive for people to actively take part and the people chosen to be an MP will be up to the job; which is not guaranteed with a vote. Looking at our success in the last term I think the policy has been a huge success.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    In this house, a by election is only called when votes hit 60% and stay like that for a month.

Why not change it, 80% and if it stays below for 2 weeks, then a by election
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    In this house, a by election is only called when votes hit 60% and stay like that for a month.

Why not change it, 80% and if it stays below for 2 weeks, then a by election
    A by-election every 2 weeks is far too much.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I also think there should be an increase in MP seats to 60 as we have the members to support it, but parties are incapable of choosing MPs who continually votes, or replacing MPs if their voting record falls below 80%. In UKIP we have a policy where any MP whose voting record falls below 80% is replaced unless they can provide exceptional reasons for their lack of voting. Unless the exceptional circumstances have been resolved the MP will be replaced until the circumstances subside.
    I would support an increase to 60, or even 65, to be 10% of the RL HoC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It would force the party leaders to properly watch over their MPs to make sure they are up to scratch. Under Adam's proposal the multiple by-elections that may occur would be the fault of the party leaders, not the proposal.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    it still stays at a month

End of 4 weeks- Voting review. Low activity given a warning
    End of 6 weeks- Any highlighted low activity not increased triggers by election
    End of 8 weeks- Voting review. Low activity given a warning.
    End of 12 weeks- Any highlighted low activity not increased triggers by election

= No by election every 2 weeks
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It would force the party leaders to properly watch over their MPs to make sure they are up to scratch. Under Adam's proposal the multiple by-elections that may occur would be the fault of the party leaders, not the proposal.
    But election fatuige would be massive, we only tend to have one by-election every term. Having more is just unnecessary
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I would support an increase to 60, or even 65, to be 10% of the RL HoC

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i still say that it wouldn't increase activity enough.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.