Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey... does anyone have any tips on how to intrepret graph data in bio AS the graph questions always make me loose atleast 10 marks on every paper i do
    I find doing the "explain...." questions for graphs the hardest if any one has any tips or websites that could help me it would be great
    Thnkz in advance

ReputationRep:
    This is how to answer questions for A2 but i imagine it will still apply

Describe: - describe trends in the graph
    - mention any change in the trend, referancing the x value

Explain: - give biological reason for trends, including specific language

ReputationRep:
    Another thing that my tutor always tells me to do is to analyse data, using the actual numbers and applying it to the graph- they call it manipulation of figures.

ReputationRep:
    I always find this really hard as well! I find it really helpful to get a highlighter and to see if the question is asking you to describe or explain the graph and then based on which one it is either just describe the changes in the graphs ( but, at least for WJEC, you have to give data) or if it's explain to have show why the change has happened.

So if the question is on increasing temperature and rate of reaction and it asked you to describe you'd have to just literally describe what the plots are doing and quote some points, but then if it's explain you'd have to say that as temperature increases there's more kinetic energy so more successful collisions etc etc

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thankz guys gud luck with your exams

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.