Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

French GCSE Exam tomorrow Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips and tricks for either the reading or listening paper for French tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing edexcel:

There is usually a section where there are three boxes, and they discuss all three options, and then you have to give the reasons why they chose the option. I suggest that you state the reasons next to the boxes as you go along. This saves you having to pick out all the reasons on the repetition.

Also this could be a bit late, but listening to and translating French music and you-tubers etc helps familiarise yourself with the accents and pronunciations.

I have mine tomorrow too. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    Does anyone have any tips and tricks for either the reading or listening paper for French tomorrow?
    watch out for negatives in front of words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
    Just listen for those key quotes and make sure in the reading you underline the main points! The rest of it will be bs!

ReputationRep:
    Make notes while the people are speaking during the listening! Any phrases you catch, write 'em down!

ReputationRep:
    I have my french exam tomorrow too, are you doing higher / foundation?
    I am doing higher and there are four main types of questions in these papers, here are some tips for them all!

Reading
    - A question with four multiple choice (a/b/c) sub questions (4 Marks)
    + Firstly read the example and see if you can find where that is in the text.
    + Secondly read the first question and all the possible options then refer back to the text and read past the example until you find the answer.
    + If you cannot find the answer try and eliminate two of the three possibilities by looking at tenses/negatives.

- A questions with 8-10 possible answers and you will have to choose 4 (4 Marks)
    + Read all of the text SLOWLY and then all the possible answers.
    + Eliminate any that you know for sure are not mentioned by crossing them out.
    + Select any that you have found the answer for already.
    + Have a one to choose but still a couple of possibilities? Follow the gist of what the person is saying and see if any of the possibilities are contradictory to their character.

- Full answer questions (8 Marks)
    + Read the text and translate any important pieces of information whilst highlighting any important grammar such as evidence of tenses/genders/negatives.
    + Read the first example and search for the answer, underline it if you find it!
    + Continue the questions

- Question that is purely in french (8 Marks)
    + Not gonna lie, this ones hard BUT if you got mainly full marks on all the other questions you only need to pick up a couple of marks here to get an A*!
    + Translate all the questions if you can
    + Look for similar words in the question and answers

General Tips
    - Read the texts VERY SLOWLY to ensure you understand it
    - Read all the possible answers before you move on.
    - Trust your instinct!
    - DONT LEAVE ANYTHING BLANK (If your on the multiple choice questions you statistically should get at least 1-2/4 marks!)
    - Remember “mal à l’aise” means “ill at ease” (This is always said somewhere and you have to say “ill at ease” to get the mark!)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Annotate the reading paper and write down all the familiar words whilst reading the information.

One tip for everyone, including me... Listen out for key words in the listening paper. If you hear any words which sound relevant, write them out on the side.

Feel free to write anything on that paper, it's your paper.

Oh and just do plenty of past papers tonight

good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody doing ocr

ReputationRep:
    OK

ReputationRep:
    I've done all the past papers on the website, does anyone know where there are some more?

ReputationRep:
    OK

ReputationRep:
    Reading
    Annotate the text into English so you have some idea what it means
    Look for positive and negative which may change the answer
    CHECK at the end

Listening
    Check your answer on the second recording
    Look for positive and negative
    Listen to examples and be ready for the next question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plank60)
    It's a bit ironic seeing your username is "Optico" yet you couldn't see the reading passage that I just posted?
    Sorry if that came off as rude; but try and have a go!
    Haha well thanks for your reading paper but I was more looking for listening papers as opposed to youtube which was mentioned earlier in the thread before you try to ridicule me for that.

Sorry if that comes off a bit aggressive; plank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StressedByDay)
    Is anybody doing ocr
    yup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manningA15)
    yup
    Just cramming vocabulary now lol

ReputationRep:
    How'd it go everyone?! I found it ok!

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't too bad. The sound system in my school isn't very good, so I found some of the listening difficult to hear. It was strange that the listening paper was a little mixed up, the questions were not in the usual order. But the last question was easy! (AQA)

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Usually the most difficult question is saved for last. Shame the same couldn't be said for reading- I found the last question really hard!

ReputationRep:
    I was on Higher Tier and I though it was ok. The listening was hard to hear at some points, and that last question on the reading was quite hard

ReputationRep:
    Did OCR. Feeling okay about it; the reading was definitely easier though.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.