for GCSE, an A* in 2nd lang is equivalent to D in first lang

Watch
CancerousProblem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
and A* in foreign lang, (one down from 2nd lang) is the equivalent of a D in 2nd lang
well that's what i've been told
is this true
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wait wut

Do you mean like.. an A* in french is the equivalent to a D in English?

Cuz I mean if you wrote in fluent french about what you did on holiday for an English Language exam it's more likely that you'd get a U grade...
CancerousProblem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Wait wut

Do you mean like.. an A* in french is the equivalent to a D in English?

Cuz I mean if you wrote in fluent french about what you did on holiday for an English Language exam it's more likely that you'd get a U grade...
no there are exams called 2nd lang that are intentionally made easier
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CancerousProblem)
no there are exams called 2nd lang that are intentionally made easier
I've never heard of the existence of such a thing.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe you could be describing a welsh GCSE,although I ve an a* in my 2nd lang and a c in 1st
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CancerousProblem)
and A* in foreign lang, (one down from 2nd lang) is the equivalent of a D in 2nd lang
well that's what i've been told
is this true
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
I've never heard of the existence of such a thing.
OP is talking about Cambridge iGCSE, where for languages there 2-3 different syllabuses. For example they have Chinese First Language iGCSE and Chinese Second Language iGCSE. The same goes for most of their other iGCSE Languages, e.g. French First Language and French Foreign Language (Foreign Language is the same as their 'Second Language' specs just worded differently).

Whether it is technically 'true' that an A* First Lang is equivalent to D Second Lang is heavily subjective to where the qualifications are used. In the UK an A* in French Foreign Language iGCSE (or 'Second Language') is equivalent to an A* in French GCSE. This is because in the UK our GCSEs in Languages are purposely developed to be taught and examined as foreign languages and not first languages/mother tongue. Though yes you still get people who speak it as a mother tongue sitting the exams for the subjects.

As for 'First Language' the UK does not have an equivalent for this except for English of course. The reason why this is available for iGCSE is because, as the name states, iGCSEs are international qualifications so they're mainly there for people who live in those countries. Most French centres who do iGCSE will enter all their students for French First Language just as most if not all UK schools enter all their students for GCSE English because naturally that is our countries language. The content of First Language would be equivalent to the nature of AS-Level or A-Level even, though this isn't an official equivalent because as stated we have no official equivalent.

Sorry this was long but in conclusion it probably goes like:

A* in French Foreign Language iGCSE = A* French GCSE in the UK
A* in French Foreign Language iGCSE = D in France

A* in French First Language iGCSE = AS Level / A Level in the UK
A* in French First Language iGCSE = A* in France

Using French as an example but applies the same for other languages, hopefully this helped.

If you are talking about the Welsh system I'm not sure how that works but I believe it's a case of Welsh 1st Lang A* = D in 2nd Lang as you mentioned or something along those lines. Maybe a C but tbh I have no idea about the Welsh system I'm just guessing that.

Another thing to note is that even though the content of iGCSE First Language is of about AS/A Level it's still given no UCAS points like any other GCSE and iGCSE.
carrott98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't say that an A* in GCSE in the UK would be equivalent to a D in France(for example), it doesn't require a massive grasp of the language or any real degree of fluency, a D in your own language would still require comprehensible sentences in all tenses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed