Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just took my As Level economics exam today after around 50 hours of revision and failed miserably, likely getting around a D grade due to constant worry of failure. Haven't even prepped for a geography exam tomorrow, Maths the day after and English/Geography both on the Friday. I feel like a complete failure and have cried for most of the day rather than revise for tomorrow and fear that I won't get into a Russell group uni. Throughout the exam knowledge was not an issue, but constant worry of failure of the exam and subsequently life led to poor timing and ultimately missing out 14 marks entirely.

The pressure is high as I have very successful parents (6 figure salaries) working in the field of investment banking and a younger brother on his way to 13 A* GCSE's, and I just crack under the pressure. Thoughts of 'ending it all' have occured lately which worries me.

I'm likely going to get BCCC grades at this point if all goes 'well', would this be enough to have an offer from any ABB or AAB universities? I'd like to do financial economics and am willing to work hard next year.

So my question is: what options do I have in resitting and what do people recommend I take as a course of action?

ReputationRep:
    Study for you other subjects.

Don't give up :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get the grades that you desire, you could always continue onto A2 and retake the exams you didn't do well in when you take your A2 exams. You could also retake a year so that you'd end up doing Year 14 effectively. This means that you take a gap year but at school. Many people take gap years/retake so it's nothing to be ashamed of or worried about.

ReputationRep:
    I got ACDE at AS and I got an offer from Newcastle of ABB.

ReputationRep:
    Don't universities look down upon students who retake a year? And surely even if I retake I'll have had to apply for university already, which I wouldn't get into as I'm likely going to get BCCC grades and would need ABB by the end of A2.

Anyhow, my parents just got home and asked why I failed, blaming it on my lack of preparation because I had only done all the relevant past papers once at an A grade standard each and wouldn't accept fear of failiure as an excuse no matter how I tried to argue it. They are now emailing my school for me to be excused from exams and are apologising for 'wasting resources on failiure'.

I'm going to try and revise for geography tomorrow since I've had a good cry and feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevenzerosix)
    Just took my As Level economics exam today after around 50 hours of revision and failed miserably, likely getting around a D grade due to constant worry of failure. Haven't even prepped for a geography exam tomorrow, Maths the day after and English/Geography both on the Friday. I feel like a complete failure and have cried for most of the day rather than revise for tomorrow and fear that I won't get into a Russell group uni. Throughout the exam knowledge was not an issue, but constant worry of failure of the exam and subsequently life led to poor timing and ultimately missing out 14 marks entirely.

The pressure is high as I have very successful parents (6 figure salaries) working in the field of investment banking and a younger brother on his way to 13 A* GCSE's, and I just crack under the pressure. Thoughts of 'ending it all' have occured lately which worries me.

I'm likely going to get BCCC grades at this point if all goes 'well', would this be enough to have an offer from any ABB or AAB universities? I'd like to do financial economics and am willing to work hard next year.

So my question is: what options do I have in resitting and what do people recommend I take as a course of action?
    I'm so sorry about this, honestly I know how you feel. If it makes you feel any better, due to so much stress and anxiety of failure I haven't really studied for my exams so I'd be even lucky to get an E grade in two subjects. My mind does this thing where it freezes and I can't think. I know right, same here with my family. Literally almost all of my aunts, uncles, cousins are high achievers who are doing well for themselves financially, going to great universities like Harvard and Oxford. The pressure is unbelievable but know as it is your family, they only want the best for you however you don't owe anyone anything. I know this is cliché to say but it's true, just do your best. Don't feel ashamed about anything as long as you know you tried your best.
    I hope your other exams go well, you're not the only one who feels this way. A lot of my friends who did that exam today said the same thing and Economics was their life- literally everyday at the library, one of my friends made revision notes and sessions for this subject. You'll be fine x

ReputationRep:
    Don't universities look down upon students who retake a year? And surely even if I retake I'll have had to apply for university already, which I wouldn't get into as I'm likely going to get BCCC grades and would need ABB by the end of A2.

Anyhow, my parents just got home and asked why I failed, blaming it on my lack of preparation because I had only done all the relevant past papers once at an A grade standard each and wouldn't accept fear of failiure as an excuse no matter how I tried to argue it. They are now emailing my school for me to be excused from exams and are apologising for 'wasting resources on failiure'.

I'm going to try and revise for geography tomorrow since I've had a good cry and feel better.
    No, it depends what you want to study. Courses such as medicine and Dentistry are highly competitive which is why they look against repeated years. I called up Durham, Imperial, Bristol and Birmingham about this and they said it was ok but I don't know if it's because of the courses I am interested in. I want to do either engineering, law or business studies but haven't decided yet. Also because it will be the new A levels, you'd have to work harder as exams are at the end of the year for some subjects.
    You could always take a gap year, universities love gap years, especially if you use it for something productive. Then maybe during that time, resit papers.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm in the exact same position as you. I had AQA economics today I revised so hard but I just failed miserably (I reckon I achieved a E) and threw up after the exam due to the stress. Basically I plan to drop it next year and pick up Classics, something that is fairly easy and I enjoy. Hopefully I will be able to complete the whole A-level in a year, after which I am going to do a gap year and then apply for uni.

Like you I'm not too sure about whether or not I can/will retake, but my situation is different as I don't plan to take economics at university.

But yes, like you, I feel very disappointed because I put so much effort in, but it just wasn't enough. What you have to bear in mind though is that it's not the end of the world. I just keep thinking that there are far worse things going on than just getting a bad grade in this world at the moment.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do though!

ReputationRep:

Nobody cares whether you go to a Russell group or not so don't delude yourself by putting Russell group universities as a benchmark for success.

ReputationRep:
    Listen to motivational songs, it helped me when I felt like quittin Don't stop movin :banana2::cool: lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daenerys...)
    Nobody cares whether you go to a Russell group or not so don't delude yourself by putting Russell group universities as a benchmark for success.
    I want to do financial economics, isn't it almost mandatory for an analytical banking role to have a good degree from a top ranking university?

ReputationRep:
    You could drop a subject if you cant take the pressure.I took 3.Aced em.Cos I know my limits.Also,A2 are a lot harder so weigh your options.You could also retake all your As subjects if thats an option.It'd be really hard to recover and get your average to an A-B.G'luck.Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, wait until results day

ReputationRep:
    I want to do financial economics, isn't it almost mandatory for an analytical banking role to have a good degree from a top ranking university?
    You can get a good degree from any university regardless of whether it's in the RG.

Russell group universities represent the class-ridden society we live in as they offer not only an exclusive education but the social cachet and networking entries that go with them for a future life. Hard and unacceptable reality of our corrupt and venal society.
    The Russell Group is a lobbying device for universities with big science and medicine, plus the LSE. That won't make your course better or worse simply because of the research grant income over in the big research building that you never get to go to.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.