Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Unsubscribing from community messages? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I routinely get messages about voting for/participating in pretend TSR political games. I'm not clear whether I somehow subscribed to these, or if everybody gets sent them all.

Anybody have any idea if I can stop myself from getting these, or is it just a 'thing'? :confused:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Hi,

I routinely get messages about voting for/participating in pretend TSR political games. I'm not clear whether I somehow subscribed to these, or if everybody gets sent them all.

Anybody have any idea if I can stop myself from getting these, or is it just a 'thing'? :confused:

Thanks!
    You can't. And I'm gutted that I never had chance to properly push for the CT to stop propping up the zombiefied corpse that is the TSR Wendy House of Commons.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    Hi,

Thanks!
    They're general mass-PMs, I'm afraid. However, normally you should only receive them twice a year. What with the RL General Election, it was decided to have a recruitment drive, hence the extra PM. You should be in the clear now for the next six months, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittiara)
    They're general mass-PMs, I'm afraid. However, normally you should only receive them twice a year. What with the RL General Election, it was decided to have a recruitment drive, hence the extra PM. You should be in the clear now for the next six months, though.
    I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of being spammed with information about something that only about 50 people actually have any interest in. There are no other special interest groups that get this preferential treatment despite having a larger user base, and from experience, the overhead of moderating this nonsense is nontrivial because, just as in a real life Wendy house, not everyone plays nice.

"It only comes twice a year" isn't really a satisfactory answer to the request of "Please stop spamming me with this ****." I'd really love to know why there is such a disproportionate desire to eek out another term out of this dead, decomposing horse.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of being spammed with information about something that only about 50 people actually have any interest in. There are no other special interest groups that get this preferential treatment despite having a larger user base, and from experience, the overhead of moderating this nonsense is nontrivial because, just as in a real life Wendy house, not everyone plays nice.

"It only comes twice a year" isn't really a satisfactory answer to the request of "Please stop spamming me with this ****." I'd really love to know why there is such a disproportionate desire to eek out another term out of this dead, decomposing horse.
    Sure, I can appreciate that. But that is something to address with the CT, not with me. I don't deal with any of that.

On your other points, though - there is still a significant interest in the MHoC. People are enjoying it and have formed friendships there. Yes, it can get feisty, true, not everyone plays nice all the time, but on the whole, people have fun with it and there are some rather interesting debates. Which is the point of a D & CA sub-forum.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

PRSOM, that group has annoyed me for a while, and one or two members in particular get on my nerves way more than is normal. It has about two dozens regulars, most of whom are incredibly narcissistic, and some of whom have no actual idea what they are talking about, yet for some reason they are viewed as the Golden Calves of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I can appreciate that. But that is something to address with the CT, not with me. I don't deal with any of that.

On your other points, though - there is still a significant interest in the MHoC. People are enjoying it and have formed friendships there. Yes, it can get feisty, true, not everyone plays nice all the time, but on the whole, people have fun with it and there are some rather interesting debates. Which is the point of a D & CA sub-forum.
    My point is, the WHoC is, by your own statement, simply a roleplay social group, so why is it deserving of special status and privileges when every other subcommunity on TSR is not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    PRSOM, that group has annoyed me for a while, and one or two members in particular get on my nerves way more than is normal. It has about two dozens regulars, most of whom are incredibly narcissistic, and some of whom have no actual idea what they are talking about, yet for some reason they are viewed as the Golden Calves of TSR.
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    Wow so we have to accept spam then?

Nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Wow so we have to accept spam then?

Nice.
    Apparently so.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently so.
    Can I not block moderators?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    IIRC, you should be able to, but it won't take effect for any forums that they moderate. Edit: okay, having just tested, it seems that this is not now possible.

Also, count me as another person in support of being able to opt out of the MHoC and other similar emails.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My point is, the WHoC is, by your own statement, simply a roleplay social group, so why is it deserving of special status and privileges when every other subcommunity on TSR is not?
    That is a CT issue. Which you know, as a former mod.

(Original post by Illusionary)
    IIRC, you should be able to, but it won't take effect for any forums that they moderate. Edit: okay, having just tested, it seems that this is not now possible.

Also, count me as another person in support of being able to opt out of the MHoC and other similar emails.
    It is not the moderators sending these messages (MHoC or otherwise). It is done by the Community Team.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    That is a CT issue. Which you know, as a former mod.
    I'm sure that he does - but this thread is a general feedback thread, not one directed towards the mod team. It was you who chose to reply to it, rather than being compelled to do so.
    It is not the moderators sending these messages (MHoC or otherwise). It is done by the Community Team.
    Yep - I was replying to the point of principle. Of course, as the CT are forum admins and moderate all forums, it wouldn't be possible to block/ignore them in any case.

ReputationRep:

Eugh. How lovely.

As Illusionary said, they are all moderators regardless.

We really should be allowed to block moderators.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As Illusionary said, they are all moderators regardless.

We really should be allowed to block moderators.
    The Community Team are paid TSR staff. The moderators are just volunteers.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that he does - but this thread is a general feedback thread, not one directed towards the mod team. It was you who chose to reply to it, rather than being compelled to do so.

Yep - I was replying to the point of principle. Of course, as the CT are forum admins and moderate all forums, it wouldn't be possible to block/ignore them in any case.
    Well, I am the MHoC mod. So I wanted to reassure the OP that they should have some peace and quiet from that section for the next six months or so.

ReputationRep:
    The Community Team are paid TSR staff. The moderators are just volunteers.
    What? You're paid?! :lolwut:

Good lord.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am the MHoC mod. So I wanted to reassure the OP that they should have some peace and quiet from that section for the next six months or so.
    Six months is a start, certainly, but still not really what should be possible - for all the reasons discussed earlier in the thread.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    So you basically have a vested interest in stopping any dissent surrounding the MHoC?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.