Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    so I am in year 12 and fully regret not taking further maths and now am looking to do maths with stats at uni, I know warwick and cambridge and a few others are a definite NO without further maths, but is it a really huge issue? can i still apply to oxford, UCL and some others?

I am trying to get to do AS further maths next year, will this help

alternatively if i take a gap year and finish my A2 in further maths, will I be able to apply to warwick and cambridge? or is it not liked to take exams within 3 years rather than 2?

also, if you have done maths at uni, what is it like? I have heard it can be quite difficult, lots of proofs and almost philosophical elements involved.

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same sort of situation in that I also did regret not taking further maths (but my school was pretty bad and in the end only 2 people in sixth form sat it) but i have just finished my A levels and am planning to do maths at Bristol in September, I know its regarded not to be quite as good as those but its a really good uni and have been told by quite a few universities that actually the maths courses should be fine without further maths and a lot of what is done (at least at the beginning) is going over the a level further maths course.

Alternatively though like you mentioned you could always take another year although I would check if doing so would decrease your chances of getting an offer (maybe you could ring them). On the UCL website it does mention further maths is required 'Mathematics and Further Mathematics required at A*, or Mathematics at A* and Further Mathematics at A if STEP or AEA offered.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student97)
    so I am in year 12 and fully regret not taking further maths and now am looking to do maths with stats at uni, I know warwick and cambridge and a few others are a definite NO without further maths, but is it a really huge issue? can i still apply to oxford, UCL and some others?

I am trying to get to do AS further maths next year, will this help

alternatively if i take a gap year and finish my A2 in further maths, will I be able to apply to warwick and cambridge? or is it not liked to take exams within 3 years rather than 2?

also, if you have done maths at uni, what is it like? I have heard it can be quite difficult, lots of proofs and almost philosophical elements involved.

thanks.
    Yes you can still applying if you take a gap year to finish FM (I'm applying to Warwick, and I'm pretty much in the same boat), and no it wouldn't really reduce your chances at all, as long as you take the STEP exams and get the high grades.

ReputationRep:
    If you can take AS Further maths next year then you should be okay. Explain that you've really developed an interest in maths over the past year and that's why you want to do it at uni in your personal statement and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Poll
Would you rather
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.