Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What happens if .... Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What happens if the Party Leader is not elected as an MP yet his/her party has a Majority. Does he/she still becomes PM or do they choose someone else?

ReputationRep:
    I believe they can still become PM, though general practice would be to hand over leadership to your deputy, or have elections for a new leader

ReputationRep:
    I believe this happened to the Earl of Home in 1963 - appointed as PM but was in the Lords, so he renounced his peerage and stood in a by-election and won. He was still PM in that period.

Nowadays however I believe the office would be passed to someone in the Commons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    I believe this happened to the Earl of Home in 1963 - appointed as PM but was in the Lords, so he renounced his peerage and stood in a by-election and won. He was still PM in that period.

Nowadays however I believe the office would be passed to someone in the Commons.
    I would point out it is perfectly legal for any minister, including the prime minister, to be in the Lords, rather than the Commons. They're still a parliamentarian, which is what matters. Even now some ministers are lords, although not currently any high profile ones.

Douglas-Home renounced his earldom because the electorate wouldn't have taken kindly to it otherwise (in fact, they didn't even so) which is also why it would be practically impossible to have a lord as PM these days.

ReputationRep:
    You are correct, Rinsed. Strictly speaking anybody in the world could be appointed PM by the Queen, but practically if they want to survive longer than a week, they have to have a seat in the Commons.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.