Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

South Wales 'Ride me' bus advert Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-32690534

Do you think this is unsuitable, or a bit of harmless fun?

ReputationRep:
    It is baffling considering the person holding it seems to have bare shoulders. Someone's surely been a prankster over this, it can't be an accident.

I don't see why one response is "Women should take a stand on this and boycott that bus company." Why specifically women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    It is baffling considering the person holding it seems to have bare shoulders. Someone's surely been a prankster over this, it can't be an accident.

I don't see why one response is "Women should take a stand on this and boycott that bus company." Why specifically women?
    They have a male one too, but of course that doesn't matter in the eyes of the... offended?

Anyway, I can see this company just removing the ad. Can't see them having the balls to go all "Protein World" on this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What greatly annoys me is that the media is only talking about the objectification of women, when men were featured in this advertisement scheme as well. People are talking about it being sexist to women - but what I find sexist is the blatant disregard for men being sexualised in exactly the same way.

Personally, I find these adverts lightly amusing, but in this PC world we live in, tongue and cheek humour is a capital offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Personally, I find these adverts lightly amusing, but in this PC world we live in, tongue and cheek humour is a capital offence.
    Basically it's just Demolition Man. They'll have machines which fine us every time we swear and make us have sex by wearing weird headsets. At least we'll learn how to use the three seashells finally.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere between harmless fun and harmless excellent marketing strategy. They could have intended this to happen. It's now all over the news and social media: some people are offended but everyone's seen the advert, and some of those probably take buses. In that case, well played.

ReputationRep:
    People are just looking for excuses to be "outraged" these day.

I really like the adverts they are quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 "giggity".

I don't see what the fuss is about, it's an amusing euphemism. Did everyone lose their funny bones overnight or something?

ReputationRep:
    might make riding the bus all day more attractive to a wider section of society, at the moment it seems to be mainly people who want to tell you how the government sucked their brainwaves out through the televison screen.

ReputationRep:
    What greatly annoys me is that the media is only talking about the objectification of women, when men were featured in this advertisement scheme as well
    There were a lot more women adverts than men apparently, and I'm pretty sure that in the marketing meetings, someone said, "We better throw in a man for good measure, in case we are accused of sexism"

On a separate note, can you actually ride a woman? One can ride a man, I thought a woman would have to be the one doing the riding?

ReputationRep:
    It's in pretty poor taste; surely we can all agree on that? This doesn't have to be an MRA v Feminists prize fight

The look on the first model's face is like she's just been trafficked into a life of sex slavery, not part of some cheeky double-entendre
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What greatly annoys me is that the media is only talking about the objectification of women, when men were featured in this advertisement scheme as well. People are talking about it being sexist to women - but what I find sexist is the blatant disregard for men being sexualised in exactly the same way.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lmfaooo pretty amusing tbh.

Shame to see the butthurt get angry again, like with that beach body ad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wee.Guy)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-32690534

Do you think this is unsuitable, or a bit of harmless fun?
    It's very easy to say, "Oh it's just a joke blah blah blah".

I'm no prude, but come on; do we really need to joke about prostitution, with pictures of naked nubile men and women, to convince people to ride the bus?

It's rather low humour, not particularly clever and frankly unsuitable for a general advertising campaign. This is not about being a prude, this is just about sensible standards of public advertising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewParis)
    It's very easy to say, "Oh it's just a joke blah blah blah".

I'm no prude, but come on; do we really need to joke about prostitution, with pictures of naked nubile men and women, to convince people to ride the bus?

It's rather low humour, not particularly clever and frankly unsuitable for a general advertising campaign. This is not about being a prude, this is just about sensible standards of public advertising

I guess I sort of agree with you. Whilst I don't see it as HUGE issue as clearly the ambiguity is replicated in both male and female circumstances, its not particularly funny and just quite dull advertising. Hm, might just be me. I don't know. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    They really should have used Sally Bercow.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the problem is with them, it is just a bit of humour and it isn't harming anyone in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    British humour has always involved sexual innuendo.

Since when did talking about sex, or making any kind of sexual joke become sexism?

ReputationRep:
    It's a great deal, all day bus pass for £3 is a steal.

Used to be £3.60 I think, haven't been to Cardiff in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    They really should have used Sally Bercow.

Good effort, very topical (y)

I feel so sorry for Bercow

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.