Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How easy is it to be accepted into a Masters programme? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying English and History at the University of Liverpool and am on course to get a 2:1 (though I got a third overall in first year and a 2:2 in second). I'm considering applying for a masters in Politics at the University of Leeds but I'm unsure if my current degree is that relevant and if masters courses are very competitive. Anyone got any experience with this?

ReputationRep:
    You will probably get an offer conditional on a 2.1 or First but there are a few important things you need to think about :

1) Politics is a Social Science. You have been studying Humanities subjects for 3 years. The approach is different. Many people switching disciplines find it much more difficult than they expected. Also bear in mind that you have no background knowledge of Politics. A Masters course is two terms of taught courses (which will assume previous knowledge) and a research dissertation. Yes, its do-able but you will find it much harder goimg than someone who did a Social Science as a first degree. Be prepared for a great deal more reading than everyone else as you try to keep up with ideas/concepts/methods you simply havnt encountered before.

2) Funding. There is no automatic funding like SF for postgraduate study. Can you afford to pay both fees and living expenses yourself? Remember with having to read / study more to keep up you wont have time for enough paid work to support yourself and postgrads dont have 'holidays' off like u/grads.

3) WHY do you want to do a Masters? It wont make-up for having a fairly average u/grad degree result, nor is it a 'conversion course' that will instantly change your English/History degree into a Politics degree, or give you the same knowledge/skills as someone who has spent 3 years studying it. And - importantly- it wont help you get a job. You will still be a fresh graduate with no work-experience and it wont push you any further up the interview list. Think carefully before you waste £20k on something that will make no difference at all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

1. Yeah you're right I probably have very little experience compared to people with politics degrees and I realise now I should have taken politics in the first place. I picked English and History because it felt like a logical progression from my A Levels but I didn't really think about it properly in terms of career opportunities or even if I wanted to study it. Over the course of my degree I completely lost passion for the subjects.
    I'm very interested in politics and I'd say I know a great deal more than most people my age though obviously there is a massive amount I still need to learn and I recognise that I'll have to do a lot of reading.

2. Funding is an issue as I have no savings and my family are pretty poor so my best hope at the minute is winning on a scratchcard even though I never buy them haha. I might leave it a few years to save up some money in a full time job.

3. I want to do a masters because at some point I want to go into politics and I didn't think an English and History degree would be a good starting point. The course I'm looking at includes a semester working in an MPs Westminster office which would provide a lot more experience and opportunities than my hometown near Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    You dont need a degree in Politics to work in this area - and you certainly dont need a Masters.

Job ideas here : http://www.w4mpjobs.org/SearchJobs.aspx?search=alljobs (scroll down to see the ads)
    You only need 'a degree', some relevant experience (not nec. directly in politics) and determination.

Voluntary and paid jobs that might give you the necessary experience in advocacy, campaigning and dealing with 'social issues' here : http://www.charityjob.co.uk/jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northernhole)
    I'm currently studying English and History at the University of Liverpool and am on course to get a 2:1 (though I got a third overall in first year and a 2:2 in second). I'm considering applying for a masters in Politics at the University of Leeds but I'm unsure if my current degree is that relevant and if masters courses are very competitive. Anyone got any experience with this?
    entry isn't usally that competitive, although if you haven't averaged a 2:1 so far unless you have extenuating circumstances you may find it harder. Also consider if you'd be able to step up to masters level work. I averaged 66% in my undergraduate degree and I've struggled a fair deal at masters level, despite not slacking off.
    Funding is an issue as well. The government has said it will bring in loans for 2016 entry but they will be for a maximum of £10,0000- not enough to cover living fees and tuition, especially if you would be living in London for a while. There is no chance with your grades you could get any scholarship. You would need to be able to self fund the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can get offers for masters courses with all kinds of grades in all kinds of subjects. Apply with with a strong personal statement and see how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northernhole)
    In my opinion, overall, applying for a Masters at any university is far easier than applying for an undergrad at the same university. Practically, anyone can afford to do a degree and lots of people apply so universities can be picky. However, far less people can afford to do a Masters and far less people apply for one hence universities are far less picky. When you apply for a Masters, the main factor that decides whether you get in is money.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.