Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I've had an email from Primark, inviting me to an interview this weekend for a retail assistant role. Does anyone who works/has worked for Primark know whether this is just a general assistant or will there be a chance to work on tills? The email says: 'The interview process will last approximately 90 minutes and will include watching our corporate video, listening to a presentation about Primark and a one to one competency based interview.'

What exactly does a competency based interview involve? It's my first ever interview so I'm really nervous😁

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this definitely for an interview of induction? There is a high chance you'll be on tills! It depends on what floor you'll be working on and the supervisors. On my floor, I normally spend 7 hours on tills and 1 hour on shop floor but my friend who works on a different floor spends a lot of time on shop floor as well as tills.

At my interview we didn't watch any videos, it sounds like you're part of a group interview but one on one interview. A competency based interview is where the interviewers asks questions to find out how competent you are, I got asked questions like "have you ever worked as part of a team and describe when" and "have you ever done a presentation?" I thought my interview went terrible but I still got the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmc770)
    Is this definitely for an interview of induction? There is a high chance you'll be on tills! It depends on what floor you'll be working on and the supervisors. On my floor, I normally spend 7 hours on tills and 1 hour on shop floor but my friend who works on a different floor spends a lot of time on shop floor as well as tills.

At my interview we didn't watch any videos, it sounds like you're part of a group interview but one on one interview. A competency based interview is where the interviewers asks questions to find out how competent you are, I got asked questions like "have you ever worked as part of a team and describe when" and "have you ever done a presentation?" I thought my interview went terrible but I still got the job
    I'm so nervous I won't be able to come up with a decent answer to the questions :/ did you get the choice whether you worked on tills or shop floor? Could you state a preference at your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcmh)
    I'm so nervous I won't be able to come up with a decent answer to the questions :/ did you get the choice whether you worked on tills or shop floor? Could you state a preference at your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My interview went terrible for the very reason because I wa nervous and forgot my answers, I said era quite a lot and said sorry because i had forgotten but luckily the lady interviewing me understood and I got a call sayings i was succesful 4 days later.

Which store is your interview at? I work at the store in Liverpool

Also you don't get a choice whether to work on tills or shop floor but every employee is given 4 hours till training. I was so worried about being on tills but it's so easy,

ReputationRep:
    quite frankly i screwed my interview up good and proper
    now i've been at the place for nearly two years
    you'll be fine!!!! just be yourself!

i'm also hoping to transfer to Liverpool in September when I go to University

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmerEmma)
    quite frankly i screwed my interview up good and propernow i've been at the place for nearly two yearsyou'll be fine!!!! just be yourself!i'm also hoping to transfer to Liverpool in September when I go to University
    i work at the liverpool store, hope you like climbing stairs because there's a lot of them hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmc770)
    i work at the liverpool store, hope you like climbing stairs because there's a lot of them hahah
    Doesn't really phase me! I work in Telford at the moment, ours is all one floor but the stock room, canteen etc is all up stairs! Good bit of exercise haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got an interview with primark, I was wondering what type of questions they ask?

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.