Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why does everyone want to do medicine or dentistry Watch

ReputationRep:
    Excuse the huge generalisation but a large proportion of people want to do it, are you forced by your parents or do you genuinely want to do it? It's a genuine question

ReputationRep:
    Where I'm from people aspiring to get into medicine seem to be a minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Where I'm from people aspiring to get into medicine seem to be a minority.
    maybe its just the people and area im surrounded with because I swear everyone one of them wants to do it, theyre so competitive too!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not in a predominantly asian school or in a school that exceeds national expectations, then it's really not that common.
    • Welcome Squad

The numbers tend to dip a little (jk, a LOT) once people receive their AS grades..don't you worry lmao

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting and demanding field. There is always room for jobs with the growing NHS and as well as it being rewarding personally it can be financially (depending on level). I can see why people are really interested in it (personally I only know one person who wants to do something medical field) but yeah. I am fascinated by criminal science and human biology, not really medical, I know, but some people get it from pure fascination would helping cure people etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuziieB)
    If you're not in a predominantly asian school or in a school that exceeds national expectations, then it's really not that common.
    strangely you're correct about both things :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to do medicine/dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    forced but i'd say less so for medicine as that career can really test you! i wouldn't personally do medicine for the money when people's lives are at risk.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely want to do it, parents were never massively keen on it so they've not been an influence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Do you want to do medicine/dentistry?
    maybe but all this competition is jussssttt too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Genuinely want to do it, parents were never massively keen on it so they've not been an influence!
    so are you a doctor now?

ReputationRep:
    'Large proportion' - right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futbol)
    'Large proportion' - right...
    I said excuse the generalisation if you didn't see

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about anyone else but personally - I'm a mature graduate applicant and I've experienced life a bit and done some terrible jobs - it's put things into perspective and made me see what I feel is important and what I feel is a useful way to spend my working life. I don't know what makes school leavers decide to do those subjects but when I was in school, only one person in my year group applied to medicine and her parents were doctors so I expect they were an influence.

ReputationRep:
    If I was a more 'science-y' type of person I definitely would have gone down the medical route, but my strengths lie with the social sciences, as opposed to the traditional sciences.

It's a shame but hey:')

*Furthermore, my family are strictly 'you either be a lawyer or a doctor' and nothing else is good enough so needless to say my dropping out of Law didn't go down too well... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well for me personally, no my parents had no influence and me wanting to do medicine was purely because of my fascination for it having said that, it all depends on my AS grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatesauce)
    so are you a doctor now?
    Med student. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatesauce)
    Excuse the huge generalisation but a large proportion of people want to do it, are you forced by your parents or do you genuinely want to do it? It's a genuine question
    I'm Indian and come from a family of doctors and engineers. It's mostly because of the security it provides you with as well as being rewarding. I do regret not taking the STEM route now....

ReputationRep:
    Prestige for most people.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.