Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    i applied to go university last year (2014/2015), however did not get the grades for my first choice. I decided to take a gap year and re sit. I received my student finance total and i received a Maintenance loan plus a grant totalling around £7000 for the 2014/15 application. After reapplying for student finance to start my first year at uni in 2015/16 and sending all details off i have had my entitlement summary back. However this year (2015/16) i have not received any maintenance grant, and less of a loan. In fact, it does not cover all of my accommodation.

    I have asked my sponsor (my dad, who is a single parent) if his income had changed, but he said no it had stayed the same. My dad has his own company. However when filling out student finance it asks my sponsor if he is an employee or self employed (owner, which he is). For the 2015/16 application, he said he was an employee of the company. But we are unsure what he put down for the 2014/15 application. Therefore, i am asking to see whether this info about whether he is an employee of the company or self employed (owner) would make a difference to my finance?

    It would be a great help if any of you could help, and would help my financial situation for uni when i go!


    The only factor is your household income. How your father earns the money (whether as employee or self-employed) isn't considered.

    However, what he declares on his Student Finance submission will be checked against what he has declared to HMRC on his tax return. If they don't match, SF may start asking for more evidence of income which will slow things down.

University open days

  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.