Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Living in London - really expensive or manageable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of looking at unis at the moment, and I quite like Imperial College London, but I can't make my mind up about whether it's worth it for the hassle/expense of living in London - accommodation seems to be so much more expensive than other cities, unless you live really far out from the campus, which means you have to travel in and out every day, as well as just general living costs and buying stuff in the city. I've heard lots of stories of people who chose not to live there because it is expensive - has anyone got any advice? is it not that different to other cities by the time you take into account loans etc.?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ignore anyone who claims that it's too expensive, it's really not! In fact I find it cheaper here than where I originally came from (Manchester) minus the rent difference. If you opt for £200+ a week accommodation and excessively spend then you will notice the difference but accommodation can be found for under £200 if you're wise about it I.E flat shares

I receive £9,700 per year in loans/grants but that's only because I'm an orphan and my loan has to last me all year as opposed to the usual 38 weeks because I don't have any parents to go back to in the holidays or to ring up if I'm in need but Iv'e never gone without. I also couldn't take out an overdraft because I didn't have any ID (long story) it's been resolved now and ironically it was activated today (I finished my first year yesterday) but I haven't died yet. (TOUCH WOOD )

Supermarkets, shops, cinemas etc are all priced the same and I find public transport to be ALOT cheaper

ALSO.... It's ridiculously easy to find work here! Iv'e had four jobs within the last eight months
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well disregarding the post above, it is expensive for *me* to be in London, in my opinion!

Supermarkets and cinemas are more expensive, depending on your location - at least my local cinemas and supermarkets are!! Supermarkets more expensive on the whole because you tend to get lots of the smaller shops which stock less of the basics ranges and it's difficult to buy in bulk as they don't stock in bulk, I don't think the actual base price of an item changes. Accommodation is also more expensive than outside London. It's all well and good to say you can rent for under £200 a week by sharing, which you absolutely can (even my halls were not £200 when I lived in a room all to myself!!) but compare it to other cities in the UK and you're living in a smaller property at still substantially more than elsewhere. For instance I pay about £130 a week for a box room in a flat with no communal space, my friend in Liverpool pays £60 a week to rent a room in a house with a living room, utility area and garden! If you add up my rent per year it's just over £6,700, which doesn't include bills, and actually that's more than my maintenance loan already without me actually doing anything to further maintain myself! I couldn't afford to be here if my mum and dad weren't helping me financially.

The other thing about London property is that because it's less dependent on students, it's hard to get term-time contracts only. Every year I've had to get a 12 month contract even though I go home for the summer. You could sub-let your room I suppose, but it is technically illegal. The other thing to consider is spending a decent amount of money on public transport every week as well. Most Universities here aren't campus so you find yourself having to go to various different places for lectures, to play sports etc. and it does all add up. A zone 1-2 travelcard is about £125 a month. I bought a bike so all my transport is 'free' bar bike repairs, but for some people that's not feasible/what they want to do, and even with my bike some places I do catch the tube or a bus. In terms of going out, the price of a pint is around £4.50 so it's not too cheap either!

It is easy to get a job though, that is true It's not UN-manageably expensive, but you'd certainly save money being out of London. Depends what your financial situation is.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, there are some useful things to consider

ReputationRep:
    My dad put up a status on Facebook asking if anyone had a spare room in london, and his friends knew friends who knew friends. I managed to actually find rent for £80 a week with a lady in Sydenham (south London). She lives alone in a 4 bedroom house, and works constantly so I practically have the house to myself.

How much do you spend on average a week for food??? Do you think I'll get away with £20?….. (I'm a vegan so practically just fruit and veg)

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.