Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is Higher Maths worth taking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Posted this in the Maths forum instead of the SQ one first aaaaa)
    Okay, so i'm in S4. I'm currently doing Nat 5 maths and I'm very...average at it.

I don't enjoy it and I think it will be a miracle if I get a B next week. I don't think I'll fail, though.

For the University course I'm planning on taking when the time comes, I don't need Higher Maths. I just need to have Higher English and a Humanities subject (As well as 4 others at an A or B) But I feel as if Higher Maths would be good to have.

I've just heard that it's difficult and I feel like I would struggle to get an A or B, but I've also heard that universities prefer it if you have Higher Maths? Or is that just my friends talking crap? Haha.

Any thoughts from people who take it? It's just that I'll have to make the decision quite soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie9)
    Okay, so i'm in S4. I'm currently doing Nat 5 maths and I'm very...average at it.

I don't enjoy it and I think it will be a miracle if I get a B next week. I don't think I'll fail, though.

For the University course I'm planning on taking when the time comes, I don't need Higher Maths. I just need to have Higher English and a Humanities subject (As well as 4 others at an A or B) But I feel as if Higher Maths would be good to have.

I've just heard that it's difficult and I feel like I would struggle to get an A or B, but I've also heard that universities prefer it if you have Higher Maths? Or is that just my friends talking crap? Haha.

Any thoughts from people who take it? It's just that I'll have to make the decision quite soon.
    Higher Maths is definitely a hard one! I'm doing it this year and the average prelim mark for my year was 26%.

If you need to get As or Bs I would definitely recommend taking the subjects you like and you are good at: this will make next year a whole lot better for you! I haven't heard of the universities favouring maths... I think it just depends on what course you are planning on doing.

In my opinion, it's all about strategy for Highers: do the subjects that will get you the best possible grades and go from there.

Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pupil1809)
    Higher Maths is definitely a hard one! I'm doing it this year and the average prelim mark for my year was 26%.

If you need to get As or Bs I would definitely recommend taking the subjects you like and you are good at: this will make next year a whole lot better for you! I haven't heard of the universities favouring maths... I think it just depends on what course you are planning on doing.

In my opinion, it's all about strategy for Highers: do the subjects that will get you the best possible grades and go from there.

Hope this helps 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard that is difficult but I didn't expect it to sound that hard. Our class did some higher work earlier this year and I was just like "What on earth is going on" haha.

I'll talk to my teachers about it I guess. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely have a think.

ReputationRep:
    Higher maths is hard! I managed to get an A at Nat 5 last year, and I've had to put so much work in this year. In my school and a nearby school, only 5 people managed to pass the prelim. I passed - just with 52%. I'm glad it's almost over, and I'm just going to work at it as much as possible for the next week!

ReputationRep:
    If you're more language inclined and aren't doing so well at Nat 5, then I'd suggest not doing Higher Maths if you're wanting to get all As and Bs I've found Higher Maths the easiest subject this year but I've always really enjoyed maths and not been so fond of essay-based subjects - everyone has their strengths and weaknesses!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopinfan)
    If you're more language inclined and aren't doing so well at Nat 5, then I'd suggest not doing Higher Maths if you're wanting to get all As and Bs I've found Higher Maths the easiest subject this year but I've always really enjoyed maths and not been so fond of essay-based subjects - everyone has their strengths and weaknesses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. I struggle with English based subjects. I am more "tactically minded"

(Original post by Higherdude)
    This. I struggle with English based subjects. I am more "tactically minded"
    Amen to that. 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please, do yourself a favour and don't listen to the other people who find it hard. I came into S5 THREE months late and I still managed to get a band 1 A for my prelim in Higher Maths. Higher Maths requires a thorough understanding of the WHOLE course. IT will not suffice if you don't understand a few principles as these principles can be used in one single 5 or 6 mark question in the exam. If you feel you are up to it, that you can commit yourself from day 1, then take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    Please, do yourself a favour and don't listen to the other people who find it hard. I came into S5 THREE months late and I still managed to get a band 1 A for my prelim in Higher Maths. Higher Maths requires a thorough understanding of the WHOLE course. IT will not suffice if you don't understand a few principles as these principles can be used in one single 5 or 6 mark question in the exam. If you feel you are up to it, that you can commit yourself from day 1, then take it.
    Okay, I understand what you're saying, absolutely. But my question was whether it would be worthwhile for me to take it, as in, would I get a better chance of getting accepted into my desired Uni course.

Other people here have been saying that they're more mathematically minded, I feel the exact opposite. I get on better in subjects like English, Art and Music rather than Maths and Sciences (The Physics exam this year was horrific for me)

I'm not really bothered if it's easy or not, I just don't really thrive in subjects that involve numbers! Haha.

So I'm doing myself a favour by taking into account what everyone is saying (including you) I've decided I'm going to talk to the teacher who interviews us about subject choices, as he is a Maths teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I understand what you're saying, absolutely. But my question was whether it would be worthwhile for me to take it, as in, would I get a better chance of getting accepted into my desired Uni course.
    Universities prefer STEM subjects over non STEM subjects as they tend to be harder. But if you're going to do something like an English degree, math is not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    If you're 'average' at nat 5 maths then I wouldn't take higher maths because it is a massive leap in difficulty and quantity. So if you don't need it, I would say don't take it ;p

ReputationRep:

It's a jump up from Nat 5 that i for sure.. but then again there is certain things in Nat 5 I found harder so its probably a more personal thing.

As for the uni thing, maths is a good one to have just in-case you ever change your mind and decide to do a sciencey engineering course, but its total BS that you need it for uni or that uni's want you to have it. I fell for this trap and took higher english when in fact I didn't need it. An English degree or History, Politics Law etc etc isn't going to care if you have maths or not.

Make SURE to take what you enjoy and don't let anyone tell you that you need a certain subject unless the universities specify it. Phone up admissions and ask to double check.

ReputationRep:
    That is a bit of an arrogant attitude. I find maths relatively easy but when I'm helping people I don't go around telling people who are stuck they shouldn't be finding it hard or they are not putting enough effort in.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to get nowhere in life with that attitude :rolleyes: Some people just aren't good at maths - why should they have to struggle through the course and end up with a bad grade if they're wanting to do a degree like Law or English Literature? It's not STEM or nothing. People from other areas also make a valuable contribution to our society.

ReputationRep:
    Unless your course specify it, which you've stated they haven't, then you don't need it. I would say it would be far more worth while choosing highers which are more relevent to your future course and that you are more likely to enjoy. Plus, from what I've heard from others, it's definitely up there as one of the harder highers.

As someone who isn't mathematically inclined either, I didn't take maths past 4th year. I was also pretty 'average' and the courses I applied to didn't state I needed it. I managed to get uni offers and an acceptance just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    they are not putting enough effort in.
    When did I say that? All I said was that she has to commit herself from day 1. I was simply stating what she has to do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopinfan)
    You're going to get nowhere in life with that attitude :rolleyes: Some people just aren't good at maths
    Thank you, but I'd rather not take life lessons from a stranger across the internet, who I don't even know.

And please don't discourage her with your BS. Many years ago, I was told by many people(probably like you) that I would never grasp math - but I have now.
    So please don't just quit if you think it is hard or unattainable - because if you put in the elbow grease, you can make it happen!

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that? All I said was that she has to commit herself from day 1. I was simply stating what she has to do in the future.
    "because if you put in the elbow grease, you can make it happen!" "commit yourself from day 1"

These suggest you believe other people who find it hard are not working hard enough. Which isn't the case. I only began to find maths easy this year. It is different for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    "because if you put in the elbow grease, you can make it happen!" "commit yourself from day 1"These suggest you believe other people who find it hard are not working hard enough. Which isn't the case. I only began to find maths easy this year. It is different for everyone.
    You totally missed the point of what I said...My point is, you need to be prepared to put in the hard work to get the results. When I said 'you', in the last sentence of my previous post, it was like I was referring to a large group of people, not a certain person. I was NOT referring to a particular person, if that is what you're getting at.

ReputationRep:
    You totally missed the point of what I said...My point is, you need to be prepared to put in the hard work to get the results. When I said 'you', in the last sentence of my previous post, it was like I was referring to a large group of people, not a certain person. I was NOT referring to a particular person, if that is what you're getting at.
    Nah, I got your point first time I read it and somewhat agree with it. The point I am making is you came across as arrogant...that's all.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.