Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is Higher Maths worth taking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    Nah, I got your point first time I read it and somewhat agree with it. The point I am making is you came across as arrogant...that's all.
    Well, let me make a new point - I don't give a s***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    Well, let me make a new point - I don't give a s***.
    No, that just proves our point

ReputationRep:
    This thread has turned into a train wreck!

How about I say that the course I'm trying to get into is a Digital Media course which focuses a lot on modern technology. Should've said that at the start, to be honest. It says that Higher Maths is not necessary, but it surprised me as it seems like a very 'technical' course.

My ideal subjects for S5 would be Higher Art, Higher Music, Higher English, possibly Higher Maths and maybe Higher Biology(If I get a good Physics result, I can take it as a crash higher)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chopinfan)
    No, that just proves our point
    Well by now you should have realized that I certainly wasn't trying to disprove your point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie9)

How about I say that the course I'm trying to get into is a Digital Media course which focuses a lot on modern technology. Should've said that at the start, to be honest. It says that Higher Maths is not necessary, but it surprised me as it seems like a very 'technical' course.
    Hmm. Well if Higher Maths was certainly necessary than they would have asked for it, but seeing as they haven't you have an option. Of course, Higher Maths would look good on your application, you have to be able to put in the work.

Plus, from your options, I'd say that for Digital Media, Physics or Math both make more sense than Higher Biology.
    But that's just my take!

ReputationRep:

My ideal subjects for S5 would be Higher Art, Higher Music, Higher English, possibly Higher Maths and maybe Higher Biology(If I get a good Physics result, I can take it as a crash higher)
    Sorry about that, as long as you have the requires courses you should be fine. Other subjects don't gain you more points if they are not specified

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    Hmm. Well if Higher Maths was certainly necessary than they would have asked for it, but seeing as they haven't you have an option. Of course, Higher Maths would look good on your application, you have to be able to put in the work.

Plus, from your options, I'd say that for Digital Media, Physics or Math both make more sense than Higher Biology.
    But that's just my take!
    Why have you got such a raging boner for higher maths lol, please take this as a lighthearted joke, not looking for another borderline hostile debate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Posted this in the Maths forum instead of the SQ one first aaaaa)
    Okay, so i'm in S4. I'm currently doing Nat 5 maths and I'm very...average at it.

I don't enjoy it and I think it will be a miracle if I get a B next week. I don't think I'll fail, though.

For the University course I'm planning on taking when the time comes, I don't need Higher Maths. I just need to have Higher English and a Humanities subject (As well as 4 others at an A or B) But I feel as if Higher Maths would be good to have.

I've just heard that it's difficult and I feel like I would struggle to get an A or B, but I've also heard that universities prefer it if you have Higher Maths? Or is that just my friends talking crap? Haha.

Any thoughts from people who take it? It's just that I'll have to make the decision quite soon.
    I'm sorry, I don't know much about your education system so I'll keep it general. You shouldn't do something just because it'll look good you should do it because you enjoy it AND it'd look good. Personally, I feel that Higher Maths brings benefits in itself even if you're not particularly good at it, but if you'd get a great grade in something you'd enjoy more and could do instead, that should be considered also. I guess what I'm saying is don't base your decision on how you think it will look. That being said, if you're concerned about what universities will think, email them or ring them and ask for their advice. Never hurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    Why have you got such a raging boner for higher maths lol, please take this as a lighthearted joke, not looking for another borderline hostile debate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, I don't have any infatuation with math, what I'm getting at is universities like seeing people who take hard subjects.

But, emilie9, don't forget that your personal statement also plays a BIG part in whether you get accepted or not!

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.