Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am currently 15 and living in the UK. I've nearly at the end of my first year of my two year GCSE courses. My choices are Art and Design, Music, Geography and ICT. I am looking to go to uni in the USA to study maybe Music Industry, Art or maybe global studies. I have been looking into UCLA and the NYU. How difficult is it for a UK student to get into these universities and what grades would you have to achieve to get a place?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Moderately hard. There are no grade boundaries but those will likely be looking at ABB students at least, plus comparable scores on the SAT.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have enough funding to pay full-price for these universities btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feyy)
    Make sure you have enough funding to pay full-price for these universities btw.
    Yep will do!
    I
    (Original post by vaudevillain)
    Moderately hard. There are no grade boundaries but those will likely be looking at ABB students at least, plus comparable scores on the SAT.
    any idea what gcse grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingotis)
    Yep will do!
    I any idea what gcse grades?
    The average US GPA at NYU for CAS is, I believe, around 3.6 or 3.7 out of 4.0.

A basic breakdown of the US system:
    Number grade; GPA value; Letter Grade
    93-100 is a 4.0 (A)
    90-92 is a 3.7 (A-)
    87-89 is a 3.3 (B+)
    83-86 is a 3.0 (B)

If we convert A-levels to US GPA, we get:
    A: 4.0
    B: 3.3
    C: 3.0

So, the average student accepted to NYU would have the equivalent of AAB

GCSE grades convert the same way. This means you should look to have an average of 3.7 using A as 4.0, B as 3.3 and C as 3.0.

The same GPA and conversion will be typical at UCLA.

As far as funding goes: You are aware that US University costs around £41,000 PER YEAR, yes? And that US University is four years long, not three? This means either you will need extensive funding from your family (the US government will not provide you loans unless you have a US Resident willing to sign them for you) or you'll need scholarships. There's no point in going to a US University if you're going to saddle yourself with massive amounts of debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    The average US GPA at NYU for CAS is, I believe, around 3.6 or 3.7 out of 4.0. A basic breakdown of the US system: Number grade; GPA value; Letter Grade93-100 is a 4.0 (A)90-92 is a 3.7 (A-)87-89 is a 3.3 (B+)83-86 is a 3.0 (B)If we convert A-levels to US GPA, we get:A: 4.0 B: 3.3 C: 3.0 So, the average student accepted to NYU would have the equivalent of AAB GCSE grades convert the same way. This means you should look to have an average of 3.7 using A as 4.0, B as 3.3 and C as 3.0. The same GPA and conversion will be typical at UCLA. As far as funding goes: You are aware that US University costs around £41,000 PER YEAR, yes? And that US University is four years long, not three? This means either you will need extensive funding from your family (the US government will not provide you loans unless you have a US Resident willing to sign them for you) or you'll need scholarships. There's no point in going to a US University if you're going to saddle yourself with massive amounts of debt.
    thanks! Very useful!!!!

ReputationRep:
    SAT. And thought the fee can be high, you can apply for financial aid. But that would not be a lot in the case of UCLA or NYU. If you have a really good profile and SAT, then aim for those like Columbia or UPenn (both in Ivy League), those can give you massive financial aid that can cover your tuition and accommodation fee if meeting the standards required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prepdream)
    SAT. And thought the fee can be high, you can apply for financial aid. But that would not be a lot in the case of UCLA or NYU. If you have a really good profile and SAT, then aim for those like Columbia or UPenn (both in Ivy League), those can give you massive financial aid that can cover your tuition and accommodation fee if meeting the standards required.
    That's not quite how it works. The ivy league universities are need-based and meet full-need. This means that if your family income is below some X, they expect you to pay proportionally to your income. At places like Harvard, this means if you family makes less than 100,000GBP per year, you'll pay proportionally. Over 100,000GBP and you're expected to pay full price. The X number is the highest at Harvard; it's lower at other universities. These universities do not give merit based scholarships.

This means that if you're average family, you'll still likely end up paying more to go to the US than you would to stay in the UK.

Other universities, such as NYU do give merit based scholarships and occasionally offer full ride scholarships. However, financial aid for international students is typically very limited. So, if you're expecting aid to be able to attend, you'll need to apply to a number of schools after having researched the availability of financial aid.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am currently 15 and living in the UK. I've nearly at the end of my first year of my two year GCSE courses. My choices are Art and Design, Music, Geography and ICT. I am looking to go to uni in the USA to study maybe Music Industry, Art or maybe global studies. I have been looking into UCLA and the NYU. How difficult is it for a UK student to get into these universities and what grades would you have to achieve to get a place?
    Thanks
    Im doing my As levels and applying to US unis myself. They don't require specific a level grades. The most important thing is the SAT, which you should start preparing for, and the SAT subject tests. You also need a god school report which means good attendance etc as well as good grades which your teachers can back you on. Class ranking is important for some unis. Go to the college board website and see what each uni wants specifically: https://www.collegeboard.org

They also look a lot at your extra curricular stuff like music or sports

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thanks
    I would start working on building your extra-curriculars, as well. Go volunteer at a museum or see if you can intern. Join a club or two. Take on a leadership role in them. Go above and beyond, if possible (i.e. Start a club) Do something that will stand out and impress admissions officers as well as show commitment to an activity outside of studying. These commitments should be on the longer side. Don't volunteer for a few weeks and hope that will help you on the application.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to work very very hard at GCSE's and will have to A Levels as the Ivy league schools accept btec's. You'll also need to take the SAT test, AND two subject tests if you want to get into an ivy League.
    Try and boost up your CV now by taking part in activities, volunteering, sports etc as they want to see a well rounded student.

As for funding many Ivy leagues look on a need blind basis, that is that they don't look at your ability to pay for university before they let you in. So if they let you in and you can't pay for university,then they will give you a scholarship even if you're an international student. There are also many other ways of getting funding. You cannot use your UK student lone in the US, However you can take out a lone in the US if you have a US citizen to sign for it(so family in the US)

However, if money isn't really a problem to you and you'll easily be able to pay the fees, maybe look at some of the smaller universities as they don't give out scholarships to international students but you may have a better chance getting into them as they are less well known by British students.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.