Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

My 3 month uni experience ruined me. Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    All I've had is problems from day 1 at this university. I was so excited about going and it's such a shame how it's turned out. As a film fan and aspiring cinematographer, I thought this uni would be best to make all my dreams come true.
    Nope.
    I developed anxiety and depression issues after a short while. I had to take some time off and when I returned I also mentioned to my tutor that I hadn't made many friends. His response was along the lines of 'maybe you'd have friends if you bothered to show up'.
    I also told one tutor that I wanted to be a cinematographer. He replied with 'cinematographers have to be quite fit and healthy, maybe you should try something else'. Now, I am a bit chubby, but still, it hadn't stopped me filming in the past.
    I quit the course in January because I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Now, in May, I have received a letter telling me that I owe Student Finance England £4500 and I have 7 days to pay or to ring up to discuss an alternative.
    I was told when I quit the course that I would still receive the year's finance and have to pay it all back once I am earning a certain amount.
    I called Student Finance and now I am paying £40 a month until I have paid it all back.
    Although £40 doesn't sound like much, I barely earn enough to live on already, so it's not great.
    I honestly wish I had never bothered with university. I no longer have such aspirations and my dreams have been destroyed by tutors, fellow students etc.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like an awful position to be in, I'm sorry that it got so bad :/ but at least you dropped out sooner than later before your depression and anxiety got worse.

You should still keep pursuing your dreams no matter what! Don't let peers and ****s like your tutor get you down - you're in control of your future- not them. (Sorry that sounded cheesy, but it's true!)

How do you spend your time now, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I hope you overcome your difficulties - I know it's not easy :/

ReputationRep:
    That sounds horrible. Don't give up. Take some time out to think of what you want to do and just sort yourself out, that's what I did.

With regards to student finance, if you can't afford to be paying the £40 per month, you can cut it down to whatever suits you best, I'm currently only paying £10 per month and there was someone on here who said they were paying like £5 a month so you can cut it down really low if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somegirl19)
    That sounds like an awful position to be in, I'm sorry that it got so bad :/ but at least you dropped out sooner than later before your depression and anxiety got worse.

You should still keep pursuing your dreams no matter what! Don't let peers and ****s like your tutor get you down - you're in control of your future- not them. (Sorry that sounded cheesy, but it's true!)

How do you spend your time now, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyway, I hope you overcome your difficulties - I know it's not easy :/
    Thanks for the support! At the moment I'm still living in Salisbury (where the course was based) with a part time job! I'm moving back to Devon where I moved from in August. Managed to get a place there significantly cheaper than where I am now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelmeVenn)
    All I've had is problems from day 1 at this university. I was so excited about going and it's such a shame how it's turned out. As a film fan and aspiring cinematographer, I thought this uni would be best to make all my dreams come true.
    Nope.
    I developed anxiety and depression issues after a short while. I had to take some time off and when I returned I also mentioned to my tutor that I hadn't made many friends. His response was along the lines of 'maybe you'd have friends if you bothered to show up'.
    I also told one tutor that I wanted to be a cinematographer. He replied with 'cinematographers have to be quite fit and healthy, maybe you should try something else'. Now, I am a bit chubby, but still, it hadn't stopped me filming in the past.
    I quit the course in January because I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Now, in May, I have received a letter telling me that I owe Student Finance England £4500 and I have 7 days to pay or to ring up to discuss an alternative.
    I was told when I quit the course that I would still receive the year's finance and have to pay it all back once I am earning a certain amount.
    I called Student Finance and now I am paying £40 a month until I have paid it all back.
    Although £40 doesn't sound like much, I barely earn enough to live on already, so it's not great.
    I honestly wish I had never bothered with university. I no longer have such aspirations and my dreams have been destroyed by tutors, fellow students etc.
    Hi

I am sorry you had such a rough time at university.

All I can say is don't ever give up on your dreams, and don't let tutors or other people grind down your hopes and aspirations.

Uni didn't work, but it doesn't mean you can't still be a cinematographer. Keep doing what you love, because you want to. Do it for you, and not for a course or a lecturer. Your passion will shine through and you never know what is right around the corner.

Best of luck whatever happens, I hope you get student finance sorted. Fingers crossed!

Amy

ReputationRep:
    I have had no end of problems with this university as well (I am on main campus though), no support whatsoever as a disabled student. The place is a shambles. I am looking to transfer to a different university now, who have said they will accept me into second year if I get 120 CATS.

I really question why people say BU is good for media, because for all I know it is because they have high entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    The advert says that BK will change your life.It certainly will and for the worse. If you are a person with a modicum of intelligence do not go there.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.