Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do the Russell Group blacklists work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everyone. If I have put this in the wrong area, please tell me- I don't come on fantastically often.

Firstly, thanks to those of you who read this potentially long post.
    So I am really interested in university; it is one of my true ambitions and one of which I will constantly work for, to go to Oxford to study French and Classics.

However, I was recently reading an article in The Times- if I remember rightly- which discussed the supposed 'blacklisted' subjects that many Russell Group universities apparently have a list of and are EXTREMELY unlikely to allow.

Now, you see the problem is that I have a great interest in both French and Latin (Latin being helpful for the Classics course), however I also have a large interest in Drama, and hope to do that at A-Level.

Currently, I am only in Year 10, so the tides can change, but as it currently stands, is it true that there are blacklisted subjects that universities will definitely not allow, and if there are, is it still possible and worth it for me to apply for Oxford in 2 years time?

Thanks, and I will be happy to take answers from absolutely anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I hope this helps:
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/node/621
    Clearly they favour some A-Levels and think you will be fine with French, Latin and Classics. Good luck with your application.
    I'd suggest choosing something you enjoy. Work hard at GCSE (they do look at these - I didn't think they did so didn't bother).
    But I think the biggest bit of advice is don't put all of your eggs in one basket. It's great that you want to go to Oxford but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. Academic reputation is big but there are lots of other things to consider too - I chose mine because of the course content, the feel and the fact I could do a year's work placement if I wanted to. Keep your options open.
    Best of luck with your application but remember that Oxford isn't the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoccerSarah)
    Hi, I hope this helps:
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/node/621
    Clearly they favour some A-Levels and think you will be fine with French, Latin and Classics. Good luck with your application.
    I'd suggest choosing something you enjoy. Work hard at GCSE (they do look at these - I didn't think they did so didn't bother).
    But I think the biggest bit of advice is don't put all of your eggs in one basket. It's great that you want to go to Oxford but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. Academic reputation is big but there are lots of other things to consider too - I chose mine because of the course content, the feel and the fact I could do a year's work placement if I wanted to. Keep your options open.
    Best of luck with your application but remember that Oxford isn't the be all and end all.
    Thanks so much! I have put an awful lot into my ambitions of Oxford, and often have forgotten the other paths, should it plateau; you have reminded me for the need for passion, not reputation.
    Do you think having drama will affect it all in any way, despite having French, Classics etc?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.