Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

unfinished f/t degree and wanting to start a new p/t one - finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

10 years ago I had to leave my studies in computer science at the end of the second year due to a complicated pregnancy and was unable to complete it.

I'm looking at starting a 3 year part time foundation degree in integrative counselling at Newman University Birmingham, which requires the student to undertake a counselling placement requiring clinical supervision. I then wish to top up to a BA hons by doing a further year of study

I've read that you look at the length of a new degree add a 'gift' year and then take away the previous years of study and that is the allowance. I also read somewhere that where there is a placement an extra year can be added.

What I'd like to know is:
    1. would this placement be one that would entitle me to an extra year of loan funding?
    2. if my intention is to definitely do the extra top up year would this be counted, making the length of my study 4 years (plus any gift/placement years) or would you only look at the initial application for the foundation degree?
    3. Does the years of allowance get calculated differently if it's f/t or p/t (because I could do a full time BA in three years but will take four years to do it part time).

I'd really appreciate your advice as i'm at a crossroads and would really like to know if I can afford to make the change.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 11, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.