Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Saloon and Estate Car's | First Car | Young Drivers™ Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LevelTV)
    Thank you for answering my question , this won't only benefit me but many other people whom have similar questions in the future. 11/05/15

I'm a male if that matters. Hello later this month i will be turning 17 , I've never been in attendance of a driving lesson however, i have been behind the wheel on private land a number of times practicing the basics so it can be fair to say i'm not an absolute amateur.

In addition i have been studying the theory books as far back as 2005 ( yes I've always wanted to drive ) so they theory exam "should" be "easy"

Car usage
    - Not use for commuting to 6 form
    - possibly lots of motorway events ( depends if plane ,train or bus is cheaper )
    - 5-10 miles would be my most common driving session mileage
    - I guess mainly just I will be in the car , but extra passengers very possible

Insurance

The area of London i live in has shockingly high insurance due to it being a place with one of the highest general insurance claims in the UK , so everyday i'm getting quotes using auto-trader ( cars) and compare the market for ( insurance ) but the popular hatchbacks for my age are expensive REALLY EXPENSIVE.

Budget

CAR = £1000 on car although i don't mind going up to £2000
    INSURANCE = monthly and as low as possible ( no budget on it yet ) less than £2000 would be ideal

Estate Cars and Saloon Cars CAN SAVE ME?

So many people my age will not be looking at these cars for a number of reasons , so i was wondering is there a gap in the market in which i may sneak up an affordable larger car with cheaper insurance ?

Are LARGE Cars Unwise for new drivers?

Please recommend Cars ( BELOW )

is a Saab unreasonable?
    Mondeo or Vectra?
    get a volvo xc70 it's got a larger ending 2l+ but car and insurance doe't exceed three grand in the first year as my mate had one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    get a volvo xc70 it's got a larger ending 2l+ but car and insurance doe't exceed three grand in the first year as my mate had one

What reg year for the volvo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LevelTV)
    What reg year for the volvo?
    1994/96 was his 96 on the uk road 94 was swedish military according to the paperwork

ReputationRep:
    :96 volvo goodness no? can you recommend a volvo saloon? one of the less powerful ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)

Passat - yes, same as above. And avoid the 170 like the plague, unless you get a DPF and EGR delete.
    Just a word of caution - your insurance company might not look to kindly on you making such modifications to your engine.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: January 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.