ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountaindewwwww)
    Lol, so wrong
    It's not wrong.

y = -1/x
    When x = 2, y = -1/2
    y = -1/3x
    When x = 2, y = -1/6.

These values show the y value changing by factor 1/3 when the stretch is applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by czj1997)
    Okay, can someone just clarify this:

stretch, scale factor 1/3 in the y-direction.

Wrong or right? There are so many different answers, i'm confused
    It's correct, since you are multiplying the entire function by a scale factor of 1/3 it's correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by czj1997)
    Okay, can someone just clarify this:

stretch, scale factor 1/3 in the y-direction.

Wrong or right? There are so many different answers, i'm confused

A 1/3 stretch parallel to either the x or y axes is correct. So, yes, that is correct.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think 68/72 is UMS??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klaxoii)
    I did, using pythag, but seems like we're wrong! Although we must have got the right co-ordinates so can't have lost too many marks
    Yeah same here! And I thought it'd be strange to have a root as an answer in a C1, so I kept trying to check it but we must've just been barking up the wrong tree. Yeah, that's my logic - we can't have lost more than 2 of the marks because we had the right co-ords (I'm assuming a mark per co-ord?)

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest on the 1/3 stretch parallel to either axes, would you have to state it could be to either axes, or just state any one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-King121)
    It's correct, since you are multiplying the entire function by a scale factor of 1/3 it's correct.
    That's wrong on so many levels, go back over your gcse work.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest on the 1/3 stretch parallel to either axes, would you have to state it could be to either axes, or just state any one?
    Just 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numpers123)
    What do you think 68/72 is UMS??
    For this paper I would guess at 90 +/- 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octan)
    What grade do you guys think I'll be looking at if I lost 9 marks worst case scenario?
    Okay, last year I lost 11 marks and got 73 UMS, so I'd say a B is your absolute worst case scenario. I'd be surprised if the grade boundaries were that high again though, so it's probably an A

ReputationRep:
    That's wrong on so many levels, go back over your gcse work.
    Are you actually stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dentist214)
    Great, lost 5 marks!!!! I got 11, no wonder I couldn't get the stationary point, I've done so bad
    All about the method marks dont worry!

ReputationRep:
    just to clarify i had my teacher go over the question about the scale factor, and 1/3 in either direction is correct, just how the graph is

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually stupid?
    r u actually stood stoopd

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I think I only got one pair of the simultaneous equations right (but I equally may have gotten it right, I really can't remember) and calculated the discriminant but didn't get the correct value for k. So at worse I probably lost 6 marks, as I got all other answers right, will this be an A and what kind of ums am I looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddy101)
    just to clarify i had my teacher go over the question about the scale factor, and 1/3 in either direction is correct, just how the graph is
    Your teacher is quite right!

ReputationRep:
    r u actually stood stoopd
    Lol, for any function: f(x) when stretching of a scale factor k, parallel to the y-axis, it becomes kf(x), i.e. multiplying the whole function!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whittick)
    I'm not sure but I think I only got one pair of the simultaneous equations right (but I equally may have gotten it right, I really can't remember) and calculated the discriminant but didn't get the correct value for k. So at worse I probably lost 6 marks, as I got all other answers right, will this be an A and what kind of ums am I looking at?
    At this stage (Assuming you achieved 66/72) You would almost definitely be an A, and towards the high 80s of UMS.

ReputationRep:
    You should have got -3x^2 +20x -28 = 0
    This factories to (-3x + 14) and (x - 2).
    so x = 14/3 and 2
    Y = -13/3 and 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrlk)
    Worst case scenario, you get a B in C1 (70 UMS).

You need 240 UMS for an A so you need to get 85 UMS in C2 and S1.
    I'm only aiming for a B overall in Maths as I'm planning to drop it. Should lower the stakes for me haha

Poll
Would you rather

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.