Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

(Original post by Ek98)
    Is there an unofficial mark scheme?
    There is one in the original post, click show spoiler. Mr M is also producing one tomorrow which will be a lot better than the one we did as he'll have the questions, we're doing it from memory.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the original post lol

ReputationRep:
    I have just messaged Mr M, he says he is posting one tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjaduck)
    Look at the original post lol
    Where is the original post? Can't find the mark scheme!

(Original post by raach.14)
    Where is the original post? Can't find the mark scheme!
    Click back to page 1 of the thread and it'll be at the top there. Our mark scheme will show if you click the orange 'show' button.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    Last years paper was grim, we did it as a mock and I got 47% oops.Then again, we'd never seen an FP1 paper before and we finished FP1 before Christmas, discarded it to do C3 (why my maths department think this is a good idea I will never know) and then I promptly forgot it all before the mock at Easter. 3x3 matrices would be an amazing last question, I've noticed recently they've started asking more questions like these:
    Attachment 397719
    The only problem with 3x3 matrices is that the arithmetic is so easy to mess up on and if that happens, everything is wrong. Still, I'd take them over induction or roots.
    Yup we did it as a mock aswell and I scraped an A (61/72) but that was like 2 weeks ago so it was a little scary to say the least! To have never seen an FP1 paper and then see that must be terrifying... Tbh I find C3 harder than FP1 so I can understand why they'd do that. But to totally forget about it, especially as FP1 is so much earlier than C3 is risky.

Just was doing that question lol, it's a lovely question to see at the end agreed. I'm very lucky though as my calculator can do inverses of 3x3s but yeh, if they have variables in there it can be very easy to make mistakes. Do you do the method by which you multiply the adjugate co-factor matrix by the original to give an identity matrix of determinants? Always found that was the best way to check if you haven't made any errors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonfruits)
    Hey guys first post here.

Anyways going back to question 3 ii) Does anyone remember what the actual question was?

Secondly for question 7b) (one about differentiating x^-1/3), if I got the answer as being -1/(3 X (cuberoot)4096) do you think that gets any marks?

Thanks guys appreciate all responses.
    I've got something different

I found the differentiation
    -1/3 (x^(-4/3))
    Then sub x= -8 ? ( was it -8 or 4) ( il do both)

-1/3 x(-1/8)^4/3
    -1/3 x (-1/2)^4
    -1/3 x 1/16
    -1/48

ReputationRep:
    Was the answer to that not 1/12 or something?
    Because you differentiate to get -1/3x^-2/3
    And then you sub the value of x in which was 8? I don't remember. And that's 8^2/3= cubed root of 8^2=4 and then -1/3 divided by 4

ReputationRep:
    How do you think the question about finding k will be marked

ReputationRep:
    For (5root5)^3 i wrote 5^5.5 because i did 5^2 x 5^3 x5^0.5 rather that 5^1 x 5^3 x5^0.5. could i still get 1 mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamespaine)
    Would I get any marks if I misread it as y= x^1/3? so did

dy/dx = 1/3x^-2/3

1/3(-8)^-2/3 = 1/12
    I did exactly the same! I want to cry. We'll probably get one mark maximum.

(Original post by nurav11)
    Yup we did it as a mock aswell and I scraped an A (61/72) but that was like 2 weeks ago so it was a little scary to say the least! To have never seen an FP1 paper and then see that must be terrifying... Tbh I find C3 harder than FP1 so I can understand why they'd do that. But to totally forget about it, especially as FP1 is so much earlier than C3 is risky.

Just was doing that question lol, it's a lovely question to see at the end agreed. I'm very lucky though as my calculator can do inverses of 3x3s but yeh, if they have variables in there it can be very easy to make mistakes. Do you do the method by which you multiply the adjugate co-factor matrix by the original to give an identity matrix of determinants? Always found that was the best way to check if you haven't made any errors.
    C3 isn't fun either. We don't actually have to do it this year but then after Christmas they just sprung it on us, the joy. C3 papers I either find really easy or really difficult, whereas FP1 I think it just a consistently moderate level of hard :P
    I wish my calculator did matrices though, would save be a lot of stress in the exam. I do use that method if I have time, it's better than not checking. Still jealous of your calculator though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberduckiller)
    For (5root5)^3 i wrote 5^5.5 because i did 5^2 x 5^3 x5^0.5 rather that 5^1 x 5^3 x5^0.5. could i still get 1 mark
    Depends if the mark scheme says attempt to multiply the numbers or add indecies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonfruits)
    Yea thanks bud for the reply.

If you put my answer in the calculator you would get the same answer as -1/48 however obviously to an extent my answer was not simplified but at the same time they cant expect you to know the cube root of 4096 if you get what I mean

Thanks for the response anyways.
    Np u might get method marks. But the mark scheme seems to give you so little anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody remember the disguised quadratic? I think I got -8 and 27, but I'd like to go back over the question to see if anything rings any bells!

ReputationRep:
    Any grade boundary predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    C3 isn't fun either. We don't actually have to do it this year but then after Christmas they just sprung it on us, the joy. C3 papers I either find really easy or really difficult, whereas FP1 I think it just a consistently moderate level of hard :P
    I wish my calculator did matrices though, would save be a lot of stress in the exam. I do use that method if I have time, it's better than not checking. Still jealous of your calculator though.
    I'm very lucky cos I should normally do C3 this year aswell but because I want to study medicine, some medical schools don't like modules being taken early (no idea why but I'm not complaining ) and as it's A2, I had to pull out. C3 trig and volumes of revolution tho are so hard... FP1, I'm feeling reasonably confident for, providing the paper is fair. If it ends up being tricky then it could become damage limitation time lol.

Yeh it is really lucky , it's not even a graphic one aswell, just an average Casio with some pretty nifty modes (it even has complex number functions). Won't try and make you too jealous tho haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exoticmedgirl_2017)
    Any grade boundary predictions?
    I reckon slightly lower than last years but not as low as some have been in the past, perhaps 61/62 for an A? It'll probably be 71/72 for 100 UMS though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlistairMcDonald)
    Does anybody remember the disguised quadratic? I think I got -8 and 27, but I'd like to go back over the question to see if anything rings any bells!
    I got that too.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow for the very last (area of triangle) question I got 40(root 5) not 40.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.