Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR (not MEI) C1 - Wednesday 13th May 2015 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCBP)
    For question 8i I did a U shaped parabola passing through (0,-3), but I factorised wrong and so my other co ordinates were (-3/2,0) and (1,0) so how many marks would I lose and also this messed up 8ii as i did x < -3/2 and x > 1 so would I lose all the marks there or get error carried forward?
    It looks like the OCRers closed all the shops and gone early to bed ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-jessica)
    There's always the possibility than I can drop out of doing C3 if I'm struggling with it a week or so before the exam, right now I can manage about 95% on each paper but neither myself nor my teachers want me to take it if there's no chance of me getting 100% so that's somewhat reassuring Ah chemistry, how I don't miss that one :P I'm the same with the 95 UMS for Cambridge, if only econ was less competitive. Do you have any idea which colleges you were thinking of?
    And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who failed the last question (well not glad, I really hope they've all done well on the paper but you know). There are only two of us at my school who take FM (for some strange reason nobody else wanted the enjoyment of 5 AS levels) and the other girl is a potential Oxbridge maths applicant so naturally she found it easy too.
    That's a lovely safety buffer to have , but clearly you won't need that with your strong 95% on it anyway! I swear 95% would be a 100 UMS for C3? But it's good there's no huge pressure on you with the C3 exam. Chemistry is tough UMS wise because grade boundaries are high and whilst I score well on the papers, marks lost make a huge difference and my practical score wasn't great so I'm aiming to keep that average above 90 and make up for it in maths.

Nice, great choice of uni! Well I'm going for Medicine so I know just how competitive our courses are, sadly, but I really do want to study there, the whole 'Cambridge' set-up is just amazing. Also Econ at Camb is cool, all my mates wanting to do Econ are applying E and M Oxford then LSE so I haven't actually seen any Cambridge Econ applicants yet from my school (might help you out who knows). I'm considering Downing and Emmanuel but I really don't know until I go on the open days and find out properly. What about you, do you know of any colleges you like and are you also planning to go on the open days?

Yup very sad I know, apparently the workload of 5 ASs was too much, who would have thought it? But that last question will smash grade boundaries down so you never know what 100 UMS and 80 will be, just have to wait and see. Oxbridge Maths, wow, serious respect for anyone who wants to do that... Good luck to her in STEP III!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCBP)
    For question 8i I did a U shaped parabola passing through (0,-3), but I factorised wrong and so my other co ordinates were (-3/2,0) and (1,0) so how many marks would I lose and also this messed up 8ii as i did x < -3/2 and x > 1 so would I lose all the marks there or get error carried forward?
    You'd definitely get E.C.F and probably would lost 2 marks for the wrong co-ordinates? Not sure, I think 2 on that question although it could easily be 3 if it was out of quite a few marks. Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    Slightly worried because 90% of people I've seen posting on here didn't struggle with the last question. Though I do seem to find that the majority of people who post are the ones who did well in the exam as surely people who came out in tears wouldn't want to scream it out to the whole world. If I don't make any stupid mistakes in the remaining 5 papers, I know I can get full UMS in those ones (whether I will or not is an entirely different question and I tend to do something really stupid on each paper, such as 5x2=5 on the C1 mock - no comment). But yeah, C2 next Wednesday I do quite like C2, it's that nice mix of easy enough to score 100 but slightly less boring than C1. The rest are after half term then so it's not too bad.
    But then again, a lot of people are saying they made silly errors. I wouldn't worry about c1 too much and even if you didn't do the last question at all, if you got everything right you could be on track for 90% ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    But then again, a lot of people are saying they made silly errors. I wouldn't worry about c1 too much and even if you didn't do the last question at all, if you got everything right you could be on track for 90% ums
    She was talking about for FP1, which we did this afternoon. I guess it's a bit confusing on this thread, sorry about that!

(Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    It's FP1 I was worried about, not C1! Sorry for talking about that on the C1 thread and confusing people. C1 should be fine since I got the same answers as Mr M's mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was an easy paper too but I know quite a few people in my school and around the country messed up some questions (particularly the last) so I'd imagine the mark needed for full UMS would be 71. Otherwise it'll be very close to 100 UMS so you'll be fine!
    Thanks, I hope the minus sign was there but if not that's not a disaster then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madhutty)
    Yeah... I think I made a similar 1 mark error, but it could just be the post exam 'Oh crap did I remember to do this?' I would estimate at around 96/97 UMS, probably not 100 though because it wasn't a hard paper.
    I hate that feeling!!! Hope you get 100 though

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was attempting the last question of a C2 Paper, and having looked at the mark scheme after doing the question, we seem to have a few differences. This is the question:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 18.28.31.png
Views: 149
Size:  43.6 KB

The part I am referring to is part 9iii).Essentially, the question says by first writing the equation of the curve in the form x = f(y), use integration to show that the exact area of region B is 14/3.When I was reading this question, I didn't exactly know what they meant by "in the form x = f(y)", so I ignored that, and worked it out my own way. Please see this screenshot of my working:
    http://grab.by/HkCo

However, the mark scheme doesn't seem to mention being able to do anything like this. I have attached the mark scheme - please see pages 22-23
    EDIT: Mark scheme says "B1 subtract from 15 to obtain 14/3" what does this mean??

I am wondering:
    1) would I get full credit for working it out my way? is it 100% accurate??
    2) what is the other way they were referring to originally meaning??

Thanks!!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf MS_GCE_4722_01_June_2014_Final_Mark_Scheme_.pdf (168.6 KB, 92 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby07)
    Hi, I was attempting the last question of a C2 Paper, and having looked at the mark scheme after doing the question, we seem to have a few differences. This is the question:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 18.28.31.png
Views: 149
Size:  43.6 KB

The part I am referring to is part 9iii).Essentially, the question says by first writing the equation of the curve in the form x = f(y), use integration to show that the exact area of region B is 14/3.When I was reading this question, I didn't exactly know what they meant by "in the form x = f(y)", so I ignored that, and worked it out my own way. Please see this screenshot of my working:
    http://grab.by/HkCo

However, the mark scheme doesn't seem to mention being able to do anything like this. I have attached the mark scheme - please see pages 22-23
    EDIT: Mark scheme says "B1 subtract from 15 to obtain 14/3" what does this mean??

I am wondering:
    1) would I get full credit for working it out my way? is it 100% accurate??
    2) what is the other way they were referring to originally meaning??

Thanks!!
    so you need to rearrange to make x the subject first, then integrate in given limits of the y values and sub these in to give you the area mark scheme is right on this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numpers123)
    so you need to rearrange to make x the subject first, then integrate in given limits of the y values and sub these in to give you the area mark scheme is right on this one
    Thank you for your help. I shall have a go at doing that

ReputationRep:
    Everyone prepared for C2?😂😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    someone help june 2011 question 9 part a iii

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falloutboyyy)
    someone help june 2011 question 9 part a iii
    If you have any further questions just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich1334)
    If you have any further questions just ask!

thanks!! can u do the previous part aswell, like the iii part x

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 21.48.01.png
Views: 210
Size:  38.6 KBalso this q q 5 from last years paper pls xx

ReputationRep:
    thanks!! can u do the previous part aswell, like the iii part x
    For that I'd sketch the graph (maxima at 0 rad and pi rad), you'll see that there are two points in this range where y = 0.5

Just do cos inverse of 0.5 to find 2x. You'll get 2x=1/3pi and 2x=5/3pi so then divide all by 2 to get the angle of x when y = 0.5 so x = 1/6pi and y= 5/6pi.

To solve the inequality, look at the graph you've drawn and you'll see that the function is always below 0.5 at this point so your answer is 1/6pi <= x <= 5/6pi

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 21.48.01.png
Views: 210
Size:  38.6 KBalso this q q 5 from last years paper pls xx
    http://i.imgur.com/yWkqb17.jpg
    Where log is log base 10

ReputationRep:
    you're AMAZING <3
    for the cos 2x question, how do u get 5/3pi thats my only like ew point i just don't understand??

ReputationRep:
    you're AMAZING <3
    for the cos 2x question, how do u get 5/3pi thats my only like ew point i just don't understand??
    For cosine, to get the repeat answer you do 360 degrees - your answer or in radians, 2pi - your answer

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.