Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA AS Sociology SCLY1- Families and Households Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys the sociology exam is tomorrow. Aghh im getting stressed out . I have a feeling the essay question is going to be on childhood or social policies and those are the sections I havent really done much work on!! can anyone please bring up some theorists for me to do with childhood? and give me some policies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samihaash135)
    hi guys the sociology exam is tomorrow. Aghh im getting stressed out . I have a feeling the essay question is going to be on childhood or social policies and those are the sections I havent really done much work on!! can anyone please bring up some theorists for me to do with childhood? and give me some policies?
    Since this well help me out with revision, Key sociologist to do with Childhood are:

Phillip Aries - He argues that prior to the industrial revolution children were seen as mini adults - sent out to work (coal mines, factories) They were not seen as innocent or in need of protection.

Sue Palmer- She talked about "Toxic Childhood". Children with ADHD suffer from poor diet, lack of role models therefore spend too much time on electronic media. In regards to parents, they spend too much time working which means a lack of relationship with their child. She also talked about Pester power. (Children getting what they want, when they want)

Niel Postman - He argues that childhood is disappearing and is in the process of being deconstructed. Children have access to adult stuff through media. He also said that adulthood and childhood are becoming blurred as they are wearing similar clothes.

Social Policies would include:
    Divorce Act 1985
    Gay Marriage/Civil Partnership
    Compulsory Education
    EMA
    Children Act

Actually im not so sure on social policy my self, someone can correct me as im wrong. I'll go over it tomorrow morning lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socalledtezzy)
    Since this well help me out with revision, Key sociologist to do with Childhood are:

Phillip Aries - He argues that prior to the industrial revolution children were seen as mini adults - sent out to work (coal mines, factories) They were not seen as innocent or in need of protection.

Sue Palmer- She talked about "Toxic Childhood". Children with ADHD suffer from poor diet, lack of role models therefore spend too much time on electronic media. In regards to parents, they spend too much time working which means a lack of relationship with their child. She also talked about Pester power. (Children getting what they want, when they want)

Niel Postman - He argues that childhood is disappearing and is in the process of being deconstructed. Children have access to adult stuff through media. He also said that adulthood and childhood are becoming blurred as they are wearing similar clothes.

Social Policies would include:
    Divorce Act 1985
    Gay Marriage/Civil Partnership
    Compulsory Education
    EMA
    Children Act

Actually im not so sure on social policy my self, someone can correct me as im wrong. I'll go over it tomorrow morning lol
    Thank you this really helps a lot. Need to get as much revision as I can because there are no retakes on this paper so need an A this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samihaash135)
    Thank you this really helps a lot. Need to get as much revision as I can because there are no retakes on this paper so need an A this year
    No problem, im doing the exam tomorrow aswell. Looks like we're both aiming for A's

Btw, Laws and Social policies which have affected children are:

Child Labour Laws 1820 - Prevent children working in certain industries and at certain times of the day

Compulsory Education 1870- Go to school up to the age of 18. Education enables them to have a better and healthier life as well as successful jobs for the future

Prevention of Cruelty to Children's Act 1889- Makes parents responsible for the well being of their child (food, shelter etc)

Children Act 1989 - Allows children to have more say. They can choose who they want to live with. Parents then have to accept that they have responsibility for their own children.

There are other social policies as well like the ones i mentioned, Gay Marriage 2014, Civil Partnership 1999 etc, but i'm guessing they would rather be used when talking about family diversity.

I wish you good luck !

ReputationRep:
    No problem, im doing the exam tomorrow aswell. Looks like we're both aiming for A's

Btw, Laws and Social policies which have affected children are:

Child Labour Laws 1820 - Prevent children working in certain industries and at certain times of the day

Compulsory Education 1870- Go to school up to the age of 18. Education enables them to have a better and healthier life as well as successful jobs for the future

Prevention of Cruelty to Children's Act 1889- Makes parents responsible for the well being of their child (food, shelter etc)

Children Act 1989 - Allows children to have more say. They can choose who they want to live with. Parents then have to accept that they have responsibility for their own children.

There are other social policies as well like the ones i mentioned, Gay Marriage 2014, Civil Partnership 1999 etc, but i'm guessing they would rather be used when talking about family diversity.

I wish you good luck !
    Thank you so so so so soooo much! You're a lifesaver! have literally saved me alot of time I left literally all my notes at school cuz i took all of them to revision classes and amcurrently on study leave so i havent been to school therfore my resources have just been the internet

Wish you the best of look too hopefully you get that A

ReputationRep:
    No problem, i'm always happy to help! let me know how you found it tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    No problem, i'm always happy to help! let me know how you found it tomorrow
    Will do :P

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.