The Student Room Group

Which is harder, Chemistry or Additional Further Mathematics?

Hi, a couple of people close to me claimed that Chemistry (OCR AS/ A2) is harder than Additional further Mathematics (Edexcel AS/ A2) .
What are your opinions on this?
They claimed that Chemistry is harder as the exams have questions which require difficult application of learnt and understood knowledge.

But surely ADFM is harder as it requires a lot of prerequisites from Maths and Further Maths (the majority of it). (and the fact that it is/ and would be very hard to most people) (maybe not me though...:tongue:)
So surely they are essentially saying 1 a-level is harder than all 3 maths a-levels?

Please share your opinions :smile:
Thank you.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I Say Additional Further Maths.
Chemistry is ok if you know how to answer questions and the questions themselves dont really differ.
In addtional further maths you take applied maths to a very high level. Also the grade boundaries are based on everyones results and only the best mathematicians do ADFM so they can be incredibly high(e.g. 88%-92% for an A). I do both a levels but It does depend on the person :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MathMeister
Hi, a couple of people close to me claimed that Chemistry (OCR AS/ A2) is harder than Additional further Mathematics (Edexcel AS/ A2) .
They claimed that Chemistry is harder as the exams have questions which require difficult application of learnt and understood knowledge.

But surely ADFM is harder as it requires a lot of prerequisites from Maths and Further Maths (the majority of it). (and the fact that it is/ and would be very hard to most people) (maybe not me though...:tongue:)
So surely they are essentially saying 1 a-level is harder than all 3 maths a-levels?

Thank you.

Think your mates were just trying to justify their low chemistry grades lmao...

I'd love to see them have a go at FP3 and M4-5.
Reply 4

Thank you.

Definitely AFM. Chemistry is overrated in terms of difficulty and it's apparent difficulty is often blown out of proportions since a greater number of people do it i.e. more candidates on the lower end too. AFM is something people only take if they're confident. Try asking someone who's done both, although I don't think you'll find too many
(edited 8 years ago)
Are they even taking AFM?
AFM
Reply 7
AFM. Everyone overrates the difficulty of chemistry.
I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by RonnieRJ
Think your mates were just trying to justify their low chemistry grades lmao...

I'd love to see them have a go at FP3 and M4-5.

Exactly :smile:
It depends on each individual. I found GCSE english way hard than M5. :tongue:

And AFM is tough not because of how tough the content is but because the amount of content uve got to cover

Thank you.

Standard Further Maths is harder than Chemistry imo

Thank you.

It really depends on your learning style:

If you like to observe and justify and use formulas only as a secondary resource then you will find Chemistry easier

However if you like to adhere to a very strict set of guidelines and follow instructions down to a tee, using formulas as a primary resource then further maths would be better for you.

I got a B in Chemistry and standard Maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending