Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For the attached question, I worked out that to calculate the area to T I would need to multiply the area of R by the determent of A to the power of 4. I got the right answer, but I was wondering how does this work - why am I able to do this?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431377093.815499.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  35.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Imagine a unit square on the coordinate plane. When you apply the 2*2 matrix 2 0 0 2 ( read left to right, top to bottom), you double the length of each side of the square because you are applying an enlargement of scale factor 2 about the origin.
    The determinant of this matrix is (2*2)-(0*0)=4. This is also the area scale factor increase as your 1*1=1 units^2 square has been enlarged to a 2*2=4 units^2 square.
    In this situation the matrix B is the same as applying A four times in a row so the scale factor increase is 2*2*2*2 =16 for B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedPolymath)
    Imagine a unit square on the coordinate plane. When you apply the 2*2 matrix 2 0 0 2 ( read left to right, top to bottom), you double the length of each side of the square because you are applying an enlargement of scale factor 2 about the origin.
    The determinant of this matrix is (2*2)-(0*0)=4. This is also the area scale factor increase as your 1*1=1 units^2 square has been enlarged to a 2*2=4 units^2 square.
    In this situation the matrix B is the same as applying A four times in a row so the scale factor increase is 2*2*2*2 =16 for B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.