This discussion is closed.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
nah, as i was pulling out of the test centre i found out he lived 4 doors down from my mum, so i think he might of feared for his life!! although i did drive better than i ever had before!! and we spent 20 mins of the 30 on a dual carridgeway- and you cant really do much wrong there!!!

but thanx for all the support!!

love Katy ***
Fishy Wings
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I failed on my fourth time, i did everything perfect, reverse behind a car, emergency stop, turn int he road, i even slowed down for the oldies, i thought i passed when i finished but no!! he said i didn't look in therearview mirror enough, four strikes and i was out of there. it isnt fair, ive hear pople getting away with alot more then that, mainly the women, isn't the way people work crap!

Fishy Wings.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Mate no point complaining. If you are good enough, you'll pass. Thats what I was always told.
Unregistere
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
give head and offer to have sex
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Or learn to drive and on the test day, do as you were taught.
Unregistere
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
apparently 90% of pple eat heir partners **** , do u ? i dont but i read about it in papers
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
1st of all well done katy for passing, I just passed a couple of weeks ago first time and all, so I know how great it feels, only thing is the first time I went out by myself, it felt well awkward, so I pumped up the radio, and just enjoyed myself.
The best thing to do though, is to try and talk to the examiner, and though it sounds obvious just chill. I was nervous as hell at the start, but as I got a spasm in my leg halfway through the parallel park, and had to stop temporarily in the middle of the manouver (it was a brand new car, which had been delivered to my instructor that morning, with a well stiff clutch). As i thought I'd failed within the first 5 mins, I just relaxed, and drove like a God, and the guy passed me.

2nd of all, this is to Unregistere, stop saying crap, your entitled to your opinions, even if they do resemble those of Hitler, but I think I speak for most of us, when I say, we don't want to hear your opinions, especially not when they are placed completely randomly in the middle of an interesting thread.

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
can i just ask everybody how many lessons it took them to pass and how soon after starting did your instructer show you how to do the manouveres, because i've had about eight lessons now and i've not even done any reversing. i think i'm being rogued to be honest because it wasn't until the fourth lesson that he actually allowed me to drive to the practice locations, its as though he's trying to get as many lessons out of me as possible to make the most amount of money.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Funnily enough, I passed my test the other day. Anyway, here's a few things that kept me calm:

- Keep the windows open during the test (unless it's raining of course)

- Wear a t-shirt

- The examiner is your guest - make him comfortable.

- Tell yourself that you've failed. This way, you won't be as nervous and everything will seem as if it doesn't matter.

- Go into 'auto-mode'. If you're a good driver, everything should be automatic.

- Talk to the examiner. If he likes you, he might forgive the occasional kerb-bump

- Be safe. During my test, I drove behind a bike at 10mph for about six minutes while it cycled round this corner.

- If you're not sure about something, slow down and wait - even at junctions.

- Tell jokes that will make the examiner laugh.

- Make the examiner think about things. Talk about paradise islands in Fiji, or the Tony Martin affair. You could even ask about his/her school subjects.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
can i just ask everybody how many lessons it took them to pass and how soon after starting did your instructer show you how to do the manouveres, because i've had about eight lessons now and i've not even done any reversing. i think i'm being rogued to be honest because it wasn't until the fourth lesson that he actually allowed me to drive to the practice locations, its as though he's trying to get as many lessons out of me as possible to make the most amount of money.

You're not being rouged, that sounds about right. I started learning in December 2001. I had about two lessons a week at a cost of £15 per lesson. I must have had around 150 lessons in all spanning a year and a half. I started the manoeuvres once I'd learnt how to turn left and right. The first manoeuvre I did was the turn-in-the-road, which is relatively easy. I then did the 'very difficult' corner-reversing, which to this very day I still occasionally hit the kerb. Then I practised the parallel park, following by the Emergency Stop which is quite nerve-racking.

A girl I knew had been learning to drive for three years. She failed her theory about five times had around ten driving tests.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

lol i went backwads before i went forwads!!! becasue i accidently put it in reverse instead of into 1st!!! i wasnt allowed to drive to the practice locations untill 2 days before my test!!! some guys are just weird.

if your not happy, tell him. i went through a couple of instructors and alwys remeber your the one paying. if your not confident enough to say out strraight your not happy, just drop randomly into conversation about monuvers and ask when he thinks you'll be readdy to start manuvers. his answer will prob show you if hes out for your money or your safty!

love Katy ***
fArhAnA
Report 16 years ago
giving head would sure work.
is that how u passed?
fArhAnA
Report 16 years ago
i took 10 lessons in the summer with an Instructor my mum knew, we spent most of the time talking about rubbish and not actually driving. he made me do hill starts (cos i lived on one) all the time, i stopped the lesson cos i had no money. i kind of crashed my dad's car in2 the side of a bus the day i had my last lesson. hmmm. didnt do much for my confidence.

then over 8 months later in feb i started again with a new instructor (who might i added shouted at me alot, but was cool) i took 30 lessons @ £15 over two months then i took my test, and passed first time.

been driving for abt 14 months now, and it is about experience, no way ur going to confident on ur test, and they expect that. i got a minor for driving slow, hmmm people dont seem to belive that! passing does not automatically mean ur a good driver, i used to be able to parallel park. but cos i park on a drive at home, at work its bay parking and college well there is always masses of space on the road i totally was crap at parallel parking, im getting there now!
SweetOne
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I've had about 40 lessons now, and I've got my test next week :eek: I'm so scared! My instructor tells me he took his test after only 10 lessons which makes me feel really dumb for having 4 times as many lessons as him. Most of my friends had 20-30 lessons before passing (or so they say).

and Unregistered, your not being rogued, every instructor has their own way of teaching. Some think you should perfect driving straight and around corners before they allow you reversing or manouvers. And if you feel after 5 lessons or so that you've got to move onto something new or else you'll scream (lol) then just ask your instructor when you can try a manouver. No harm in asking. Personally I had about 10 lessons before I was taught to look in the rearview mirror!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by -al)
Just be relaxed, that's the most important thing. Drive slightly slower than normal (do 56 in a 60 for example) , take junctions extra slow and emphasise your head movements a lot when you're looking around. Look as much as possible. If you're not sure what the limit is, do 40 unless the instructor tells you different or other people are clearly moving fast. Remember, 30 in town / places with street lights.
doing 56 in a 60 zone is classed as undue hesistation. the instructor wants to see that your a competant driver and taking junctions slower doesn't make you competant, you'll fail your test if you do that, if you see a gap, go for it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
doing 56 in a 60 zone is classed as undue hesistation. the instructor wants to see that your a competant driver and taking junctions slower doesn't make you competant, you'll fail your test if you do that, if you see a gap, go for it.
wow your strict! 56 is close enough to 60 and will show the examiner that you are a cautious driver & not a speed freak! lol .
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i passed my test today first time and it waas ****ing easy,had to rverse ronud corner and paralell park,im glued to my car seat now,see yaaaaas
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I failed my first test, gotta pass the second as I won't get another chance before uni :/. I thought I'd be nervous during the test, but I wasn't and it went really quickly.
s37d
Report 16 years ago
I failed my first time.....i dont know how.....i got SO nervous that I couldnt think, and I totally forgot to back up along the curb, and forgot to stop before the crosswalk(something no one does anyway)....so of course I got screwed. But then I went home and did all of these without even thinking.....sitting next to the cop makes you so nervous you can't even process your thought....for me at least. Then I went again....and the break light was out on the car. So now, 3 months after when I should have gotten it.....im going again. I better pass, or im just gonna crash the car into the RMV with the pos state trooper in it....*******.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I failed first time - but I didn't fee at all ready my instructor just entered me for it...made about a million mistakes.

Failed second time - still didn't feel ready but halfway through things were going ok then made a stupid mistake (pulled out onto a roundabout into a slightly unsafe gap) and failed just on that, after that I knew I could pass it.

Third time I did the visualisation thing, just mentally thinking through the different maneuveres etc etc and got into the rhythm of checking my mirror every 8 seconds (I still do this). I ended up with the same examiner as my first test and he remembered me (funny surname)...he even let me restart my parallel park (on a bloody hill near a junction evil *******) after I mucked it up first go because of the slope.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.61%
Uncertainty around my education (171)
16.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (101)
9.67%
Isolating with family (71)
6.8%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.74%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.62%
Loneliness (104)
9.96%
Financial worries (46)
4.41%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.62%

Watched Threads