Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I paranoid? Watch

When I walk with a group of friends I always linger at the back because I think if I lead they won't follow me. I've always had trust issues and I never talk bad about someone behind their back because I don't trust anyone enough for them to not grass me up.

I generally have trust issues, I can't fall asleep near people other than close family and I'm rarely honest when it comes to talking about my feelings (I never show any negative emotions because I think people will use them against me or mock me). I don't drink because I'm convinced I'll get r*aped (not sure if that word is sensored on here, I'm fairly new). I'm fine with being in public on my own, but I'll always keep keys between my fingers in case I get attacked for some reason.

I didn't think much of these traits but when my friend pointed out the whole walking at the back of the group thing it all just dawned on me and now I'm a bit worried haha.

I don't understand though, I've always had a great, positive relationship with my family and I've never faced any emotional or physical abuse. I've had a few dodgy situations with friends, mainly straight males ones (I don't mean any offence by pointing out they're straight and male, just pointing out there may be sexual attraction involved). A boy in the year above me harassed me for 3 years to the point where I'd consider it stalking and another friend threatened to r*ape me (as a joke apparently, hmmm) when I went camping in a group, I was scared for the whole trip and didn't sleep.

Is this normal? Am I very paranoid or just sensible? I didn't think it was affecting my life until now. Anyone else feel this way? I just want to talk really, I don't want to be diagnosed with anything haha. Reading back on this now I feel like a freak.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a little paranoid.

But quoting Nirvana, "Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you"

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'd say a little paranoid.

But quoting Nirvana, "Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I guess I was asking for that one

Enough for it to be a problem? I've been coping ok but sometimes I wish I wasn't like this. Thanks for replying
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Haha I guess I was asking for that one

Enough for it to be a problem? I've been coping ok but sometimes I wish I wasn't like this. Thanks for replying
    Hahaha

I think you just have to be a little bit more confident and a little more trusting. If you fear being raped, a rape alarm may be an idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I walk with a group of friends I always linger at the back because I think if I lead they won't follow me. I've always had trust issues and I never talk bad about someone behind their back because I don't trust anyone enough for them to not grass me up.

I generally have trust issues, I can't fall asleep near people other than close family and I'm rarely honest when it comes to talking about my feelings (I never show any negative emotions because I think people will use them against me or mock me). I don't drink because I'm convinced I'll get r*aped (not sure if that word is sensored on here, I'm fairly new). I'm fine with being in public on my own, but I'll always keep keys between my fingers in case I get attacked for some reason.

I didn't think much of these traits but when my friend pointed out the whole walking at the back of the group thing it all just dawned on me and now I'm a bit worried haha.

I don't understand though, I've always had a great, positive relationship with my family and I've never faced any emotional or physical abuse. I've had a few dodgy situations with friends, mainly straight males ones (I don't mean any offence by pointing out they're straight and male, just pointing out there may be sexual attraction involved). A boy in the year above me harassed me for 3 years to the point where I'd consider it stalking and another friend threatened to r*ape me (as a joke apparently, hmmm) when I went camping in a group, I was scared for the whole trip and didn't sleep.

Is this normal? Am I very paranoid or just sensible? I didn't think it was affecting my life until now. Anyone else feel this way? I just want to talk really, I don't want to be diagnosed with anything haha. Reading back on this now I feel like a freak.
    The red, i would consider normal, thats just trust issues and those will only be fixed with time and finding someone who you can trust implicitly
    The yellow isnt so much paranoid but scared, well i guess it is paranoid by definition but it seems like its the lack of trust in others (specifically males?)
    and the blue is probably the cause of it (or one of the causes)

Im no expert im afraid so i don't know what to do about it other than hope you meet someone who is as honest as the day is long who can restore your faith in the human race. I wish i could say you were being completely irrational, but i can't and it makes me sad that I can't say that. Don't get me wrong your worrying about it a lot more than most do, im not trying to say 'you should be scared' or anything but its not something you should be worrying about this much, especially in public places. Wish i could do more :/ i'm sorry

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    Hahaha

I think you just have to be a little bit more confident and a little more trusting. If you fear being raped, a rape alarm may be an idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been considering getting one for a while but it seems like a silly fear? Though many women do get raped. Think I'll get one just to be at ease.

(Original post by Smilin’ Knight)
    The red, i would consider normal, thats just trust issues and those will only be fixed with time and finding someone who you can trust implicitly
    The yellow isnt so much paranoid but scared, well i guess it is paranoid by definition but it seems like its the lack of trust in others (specifically males?)
    and the blue is probably the cause of it (or one of the causes)

Im no expert im afraid so i don't know what to do about it other than hope you meet someone who is as honest as the day is long who can restore your faith in the human race. I wish i could say you were being completely irrational, but i can't and it makes me sad that I can't say that. Don't get me wrong your worrying about it a lot more than most do, im not trying to say 'you should be scared' or anything but its not something you should be worrying about this much, especially in public places. Wish i could do more :/ i'm sorry
    Thanks, this was incredibly useful. I think I've just been unlucky with men for a while and It's made me very cautious. I'm sure I'll be able to develop healthy relationships with them eventually. I get on great with my gay male friends, but if there's an inkling of sexual attraction involved I just freak a bit haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this was incredibly useful. I think I've just been unlucky with men for a while and It's made me very cautious. I'm sure I'll be able to develop healthy relationships with them eventually. I get on great with my gay male friends, but if there's an inkling of sexual attraction involved I just freak a bit haha.
    Be careful not to scare yourself out of living life, it doesn't do any good, i can tell you that
    Not saying be reckless but make sure to keep yourself out there and not shut away for fear of what MIGHT happen.

ReputationRep:

There is often alot of confusion around paranoia, and what most people call paranoia is actually anxiety.

Paranoia GENERALLY means you fear someone is out to get you, or you being hurt, i myself have paranoia and most of my delusions are around sniper men following me. This is paranoia.

Id say what you have is just anxieties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.VVFD4mK9KK0

Many people experience mild paranoid thoughts at some point in their lives, for example, thinking that people are looking at them or talking about them behind their backs. These types of thought are relatively common and are closely related to anxiety.

Generally speaking, if you are experiencing paranoia, you will feel a sense of threat and fear.

There are different types of threat or harm that you may feel paranoid about. You may feel you are at risk of:

psychological or emotional harm – thinking somebody is bullying you, spreading rumours about you, talking about you behind your back
    physical harm – believing somebody trying to physically hurt or injure you, or even trying to kill you
    financial harm – thinking another person is stealing from you, or is damaging your property or tricking you into giving away your money.
    It could be one person you feel threatened by, or it may be a group of people, an organisation, an event or an object.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: May 12, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.