The Student Room Group

AQA AS Level French Unit 1 - 21st May 2015 (AM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
How long should we spend on the essay?
Original post by Dee_98
How many positive and negative points do we need for the essay ? My teacher recommended 8... But other languages only need to write 4 points :frown:

We were told 5-6

Posted from TSR Mobile
The minimum is only 200 words

I only write 4 or 5 points for German and Spanish but for French our teacher has told us to do 12 points (bit ridiculous)

I'd say get 3 advantages down and then keep writing disadvantages until 5 minutes before the end
I think 3 +ves and 3 -ves is the best combination but ultimately it comes down to how you develop your points, if very well developed 4 points is fine!
Original post by MissZoe
How long should we spend on the essay?

Usually 50 minutes then 10 minutes to check over grammar etc
Reply 125
Original post by PrincessHarriet
Usually 50 minutes then 10 minutes to check over grammar etc

Thank you! x
If fashion, mariage and sport come up together, I will literally leave the exam room!!
Is this a good shortlist for unit 1 and 3:

- Smoking/Drugs
- Téléréalité
- Internet
- Sport
- Publicité
Original post by Patrick2810
Can I add some more if you want?

- Advertising sometimes targets vulnerable groups e.g children(fast food)/ poor people (wonga.com, etc)
- Causes people to consume things that sometimes they don't need -> leads to increase in production -> pollution

thank you soo much xx
Original post by Lamatata
If fashion, marriage and sport come up together, I will literally leave the exam room!!

Same! I'd die... Please be nice AQA!!
Unit 3 (Sport etc) shouldn't show up this year - it's been in the last three exams and it's its turn to step sown this year
Anyone else thinking publicité has to come up? Surely unit 3 is the one to be ommitted this paper and this hasn't been asked in a while...
Original post by Patrick2810
Anyone else thinking publicité has to come up? Surely unit 3 is the one to be ommitted this paper and this hasn't been asked in a while...

Exactly what I've been saying. The only hitch is that Publicity came up in both Spanish and German - it would seem almost too good to be true if it came up again...
Original post by cfbillingham
Exactly what I've been saying. The only hitch is that Publicity came up in both Spanish and German - it would seem almost too good to be true if it came up again...

So what you guys saying is, publicity won't come up tomorrow?
And it'd be different for german and spanish, those papers were written by different people.
Original post by boods8897
Resitting AS. Don't feel overly prepared though as forgotten a lot of the vocab :/ the AS exam is shorter than A2 so my timings are a bit off as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moi aussi! J'ai révisé mon vocabulaire sur "Memrise"- c'est très utile!
could someone tell me how to form subjunctive please?? I have only learnt set phrases with the verb already conjugated but I may need to know for the dreaded grammar gap fill
Original post by Lamatata
So what you guys saying is, publicity won't come up tomorrow?
And it'd be different for german and spanish, those papers were written by different people.

They're written by different people but the essay titles were identical in both.

They are from the same exam board and AQA are well known for simply translating their papers.

A few exercises in the Spanish Reading were from an old French paper etc.

No we're saying that it should come up, however there is always the possibility that it will appear in some obscure form "What are the dangers of Advertising alcohol"
Sorry, I haven't really read the thread. Please can someone tell me what topics are predicted to come up for the essay? Would be very helpful. Also, any revision tips? Feeling very nervous and under prepared for tomorrow!
Original post by Amyjonesx
could someone tell me how to form subjunctive please?? I have only learnt set phrases with the verb already conjugated but I may need to know for the dreaded grammar gap fill

http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/subjunctive_regular.htm
Reply 139
To be honest Adverts/publicité hasn't come up since January 2012, Sport itself hasn't been done since January 2009 Healthy Living (on the side of drugs and cigarettes has been done to death but the actual subtopic of sport hasn't for a while now. Music also hasn't been done since 2010, fashion since June 2012 and family (if you exclude the sort of crossover question we got last year on friends and family) hasn't been done since 2012.

So I've got a feeling the three topics will be something in: Adverts, Sport, Family, Music or possibly fashion at a stretch?

Considering that the three we are given are from each category: media/pop. culture/healthy living/family and friends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending