Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hullooo

So I have a place at Staffordshire Uni, applied for accommodation on the stoke campus, blah blah blah

I do not have a laptop, and I'm avoiding paying for one. I'm doing the VFX & Concept Design course, so if I was to get a Laptop, to run photoshop and the 3D modeling programs, it would have to be a high end laptop too. Enough processing and RAM.

So my solution to this is to take my PC from home to Uni. My PC at home can easily run all this stuff. And that's kinda the dilemma. The thing isn't cheap. While I feel like nothing is going to happen, I'm still skeptical about bringing it.

So my questions are:

Would it be wise for me to take my PC to Staff Uni?

Is there anything specific I need? (Already ticked off a plug adapter)

Is the security good?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McFish)
    Hullooo

So I have a place at Staffordshire Uni, applied for accommodation on the stoke campus, blah blah blah

I do not have a laptop, and I'm avoiding paying for one. I'm doing the VFX & Concept Design course, so if I was to get a Laptop, to run photoshop and the 3D modeling programs, it would have to be a high end laptop too. Enough processing and RAM.

So my solution to this is to take my PC from home to Uni. My PC at home can easily run all this stuff. And that's kinda the dilemma. The thing isn't cheap. While I feel like nothing is going to happen, I'm still skeptical about bringing it.

So my questions are:

Would it be wise for me to take my PC to Staff Uni?

Is there anything specific I need? (Already ticked off a plug adapter)

Is the security good?
    Hey,

Excited to hear you're coming to Staffs! I'm the Official Rep for the Uni on TSR so if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me

Everyone in halls is given complimentary personal possessions insurance up to £3500. You can top this up to cover other items. You read all the details of the insurance policy here.

Each room in halls has its own lock, and the front door is locked.

General advice: It's always a good idea to make sure you lock your room whenever you're not in it, just to be safe, and make sure you keep your valuables like phones/laptops etc. tucked away out of sight - don't leave them unattended in communal spaces like kitchens etc. Don't brag/make it publicly known that you've got expensive items in your room. I'd imagine that phones laptops and mobile devices are more high-risk items, as they are so easy to grab.

Hope that helps,

Katie

ReputationRep:
    What spec is your current PC? :bban:

ReputationRep:
    No reason not to take your PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Staffordshire University)
    I'd imagine that phones laptops and mobile devices are more high-risk items, as they are so easy to grab.
    I did not think of this, thank you for replying

(Original post by DanB1991)
    No reason not to take your PC.
    Yup!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McFish)
    I did not think of this, thank you for replying
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking mine (doing Film Production) so like you its an essential part really, so wouldn't see any reason not to.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.