Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    How many modules is one meant to be studying for PhD in politics/IR for full time or for part time? How many hours of classes per week would that be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSAYou)
    How many modules is one meant to be studying for PhD in politics/IR for full time or for part time? How many hours of classes per week would that be?
    You don't take any modules. The PhD is done entirely by research. There is only one compulsory course you have to take in the first semester of your first year, IR5601 which is a research methods class, and that meets once each week for 2 hours. That is basically just to help you write an extended research proposal that you submit in the Spring of your first year. There is no other coursework, and no other compulsory classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha1986)
    You don't take any modules. The PhD is done entirely by research. There is only one compulsory course you have to take in the first semester of your first year, IR5601 which is a research methods class, and that meets once each week for 2 hours. That is basically just to help you write an extended research proposal that you submit in the Spring of your first year. There is no other coursework, and no other compulsory classes.
    Are you doing a PhD there? How do you find the supervision? Is the living cost expensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Are you doing a PhD there? How do you find the supervision? Is the living cost expensive?
    It is quite an expensive place to live. Renting privately can cost anywhere from £350/month (increasingly rare to find a room this cheap) to £650/month not including bills, internet or other living costs. There are cheap places to eat and drink and there are a few supermarkets to get your groceries in, so food doesn't necessarily cost that much. But rent is the really big expense - university halls are becoming more and more expensive.

I've loved my PhD experience. My supervisor is great, and we have a great relationship. But it depends entirely on your supervisor, tbh. It's important to find someone who is a good match for you, research wise, but also try to get an idea of what they will be like to work with. If you can establish a good rapport at the beginning then you should be fine.

Are you considering a PhD?

ReputationRep:
    It is quite an expensive place to live. Renting privately can cost anywhere from £350/month (increasingly rare to find a room this cheap) to £650/month not including bills, internet or other living costs. There are cheap places to eat and drink and there are a few supermarkets to get your groceries in, so food doesn't necessarily cost that much. But rent is the really big expense - university halls are becoming more and more expensive.
    That's like living in London! And St. Andrews is just a town when I visited the place : /

What made you chose St. Andrews of Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    That's like living in London! And St. Andrews is just a town when I visited the place : /

What made you chose St. Andrews of Edinburgh?
    2 main reasons were: supervisor, and funding. I got a tuition fee scholarship at Edinburgh, but full research council funding at St Andrews. Both prospective supervisors were a good match, research wise, but in different ways, and in the end I was more comfortable with the trajectory that my thesis would go down with the supervisor in St Andrews than in Edinburgh. Plus, I'd worked with my supervisor before and new that it would be smooth sailing.

ReputationRep:
    2 main reasons were: supervisor, and funding. I got a tuition fee scholarship at Edinburgh, but full research council funding at St Andrews. Both prospective supervisors were a good match, research wise, but in different ways, and in the end I was more comfortable with the trajectory that my thesis would go down with the supervisor in St Andrews than in Edinburgh. Plus, I'd worked with my supervisor before and new that it would be smooth sailing.
    I'd choose St. Andrews over Edinburgh in a heartbeat; I love the town - and the abandoned Cathedral

ReputationRep:
    Tasha1986, Are you doing PhD in St. Andrews? In Politics/ IR? How about taking modules for Quantitative or Qualitative research method? If I decide to take it, will I need to make submissions?

ReputationRep:
    Tasha1986, Are you doing PhD in St. Andrews? In Politics/ IR? How about taking modules for Quantitative or Qualitative research method? If I decide to take it, will I need to make submissions?
    There are two courses for MRes students that you can take, one on quantitative research methods and one on qualitative methods. As a PhD student you would technically be auditing them and would not have to complete the coursework. Here's the link: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~mgk/Kes...amHomePage.htm

ReputationRep:
    There are two courses for MRes students that you can take, one on quantitative research methods and one on qualitative methods. As a PhD student you would technically be auditing them and would not have to complete the coursework. Here's the link: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~mgk/Kes...amHomePage.htm
    Tasha1986, Sorry for the bother..yet another question. I deferred last year for PhD, do you know if one can defer for 2 consecutive years?

ReputationRep:
    Tasha1986, Sorry for the bother..yet another question. I deferred last year for PhD, do you know if one can defer for 2 consecutive years?
    I don't know. I imagine it would depend on your potential supervisor being on board. Best thing to do is email the postgraduate research secretary and ask.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.