Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm graduating in 2016 from the IB and I am planning to take a gap year before applying. I want to study medicine and what I have read from universities websites they say it is better to apply during your gap year rather than applying for a deferred entry for medicine. I was wondering is there anyone who got into/or knows anyone who got into medicine after a gap year? I might apply to Oxbridge and other top unis such as UCL etc. but would taking a gap year increase my chances if I spend it well like volunteering work etc? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I was at a Cambridge University Open Day at Churchill College. I went specifically for medicine and I was told that they value gap years PROVIDED something useful & beneficial is done within it. Such as voluntary work, work experience, travelling abroad such as to less developed countries and assisting there. The list simply goes on. They would not be impressed if you used your gap year to get yourself a job at the local supermarket to stack shelves all day. In fact doing so would count against you in your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abscond)
    Hi! I'm graduating in 2016 from the IB and I am planning to take a gap year before applying. I want to study medicine and what I have read from universities websites they say it is better to apply during your gap year rather than applying for a deferred entry for medicine. I was wondering is there anyone who got into/or knows anyone who got into medicine after a gap year? I might apply to Oxbridge and other top unis such as UCL etc. but would taking a gap year increase my chances if I spend it well like volunteering work etc? Thanks
    You have nothing to lose from applying for deferred entry, IMO - if you don't get an offer, you can just reapply in your gap year. I got three offers for deferred entry, but that was a long time ago now.

Forget "top universities" and choose ones you like the look of and will make the grades required. For Oxbridge in particular, they are far more interested in your grades and academic ability than additional stuff, but a well-spent gap year can be advantageous anyway.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.