Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Seeing a doctor for a referral for a diagnosis Watch

I'm currently on anti-depressants and have been seeing my doctor about this for a while but things aren't really improving.

I've had issues for eight years now and have yet to come up with something that helps. My mum thinks I may have been misdiagnosed and have another underlying condition, something I think may be true.

I feel I need to be referred and assessed properly. I know I need to speak to my doctor and see what he thinks but talking to him about depression symptoms was difficult enough without going in to my past and other issues.

Really I'm just asking for people who have gone to their doctors knowing they think they need a referral/help for advice.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had any other treatment? NICE recommends 'talking therapies' not just antidepressants. But think of it this way - if you had a physical problem and the treatment your GP gave you wasn't working, you'd have no hesitation in going back, and asking if you can be referred to say, an orthopaedic consultant. You've been suffering for several years, and if all you've had is anti-depressants, then seeing your doctor to say that overall you really don't think you're improving, and could he refer you to a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist? (Think about which you think would be best for you...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm currently on anti-depressants and have been seeing my doctor about this for a while but things aren't really improving.

I've had issues for eight years now and have yet to come up with something that helps. My mum thinks I may have been misdiagnosed and have another underlying condition, something I think may be true.

I feel I need to be referred and assessed properly. I know I need to speak to my doctor and see what he thinks but talking to him about depression symptoms was difficult enough without going in to my past and other issues.

Really I'm just asking for people who have gone to their doctors knowing they think they need a referral/help for advice.
    If talking about things is going to be something you think you will find too difficult to do in person, it may be worth writing everything down before you go. It will give you a chance to collect your thoughts and put down everything you feel would be relevant.

Medication can be very hit and miss; it can take a long time to find not only the correct medicine, but also the correct dosage, and allow enough time (usually 4 - 6 weeks) to see if it is working. (Sorry, that's not meant to sound as negative as it might). If you think that past issues are causing the problems you are having now, then it would be worth discussing CBT or other talking therapies with your GP. It can be hard to talk about things, but if these past issues are the cause of your present ones, medication alone will only be masking it.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.