Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

REALLY need advice re: Housing Benefit (is £2100 enough to move out on my own??) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Got an abusive family, dropped out of uni due to depression/stress and made a couple of thousand very recently by selling stuff I owned. I have 1.6k right now and am getting around 500 in mid June.

I'm living with my family right now and its hell, got no friends I can stay with (socially anxious) and went on JSA for a bit but had to leave as I had to move from staying with one family member to staying with another and my address changed.

I'm 21 and have very little work experience and no referees but I'm willing to do anything, is moving out on my first and then applying for a job/Housing Benefit a good idea? I'd be willing to move to a really cheap part of the UK (ideas? somewhere like London probably isn't a good idea) because I have no ties anywhere.

Is there any chance I could be rejected for Housing Benefit and/or JSA? Should I look for a landlord that accepts DSS claimants even if I'm not on Housing Benefit at the moment? Do I find a place and then start claiming? Can only survive for a few months without it

PLEASE help. my family situation is horrible
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can only claim housing benefit if you've got a tenancy agreement. Until you find somewhere to live, you really should look for a job. You would be better, imo, (if you can) finding a job and then moving out. I understand that in your situation, this may not be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You can only claim housing benefit if you've got a tenancy agreement. Until you find somewhere to live, you really should look for a job. You would be better, imo, (if you can) finding a job and then moving out. I understand that in your situation, this may not be possible.
    Thanks. I did look for a job while on jsa and had the odd interview but they all required referees. I literally know no one at the moment so this would mean hanging around in my current situation and trying to get to know people quickly. I don't want to stay here for another 3-4 months while I volunteer so I can get referees or someone.

How easy is it to find a landlord who accepts DSS?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.