Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to do Alevels externally especially these Alevels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

without going to a sixth form.. can you take the exams at the end of the year and apply to University once completed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can. You'd need to find a centre for the practical exams though.

Also, you're supposed to apply one year early to university. For example: you plan to start in September 2018, you should apply before January 2017 (October 2017 in case of Oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElisaR)
    Yes, you can. You'd need to find a centre for the practical exams though.

Also, you're supposed to apply one year early to university. For example: you plan to start in September 2018, you should apply before January 2017 (October 2017 in case of Oxbridge).
    Oh okay.
    Also is it expensive to take the exams?
    And what about references who would provide me with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    Oh okay.
    Also is it expensive to take the exams?
    What about references who would provide me with it?
    It'll be quite expensive considering that you'll be doing practicals as well.

You could ask one of your previous teachers to write you a reference.
    I'll start a-levels through distance learning in September and they told me that one of my tutors will be my referee.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be quite expensive considering that you'll be doing practicals as well.

You could ask one of your previous teachers to write you a reference.
    I'll start a-levels through distance learning in September and they told me that one of my tutors will be my referee.
    A subject like physics has coursework so how would i go around that?

And will I just be paying for the examination fee.

ReputationRep:
    Something I've been wondering too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    A subject like physics has coursework so how would i go around that?

And will I just be paying for the examination fee.
    I thought physics had practicals as well? And you'd need to submit that to your examination centre.

Fees for private candidates are (unfortunately) quite high (at least at the centres I've checked).

ReputationRep:
    I thought physics had practicals as well? And you'd need to submit that to your examination centre.

Fees for private candidates are (unfortunately) quite high (at least at the centres I've checked).
    For each exam is it around 150 maybe? I read it somewhere..

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking economics and psychology as an external student. You will have to pay the fees for each exam and also contribute towards invigilators fees. I found a centre fortunately close to me by looking on the edexcel exam site but have studied economics with a distance learning centre. This cost £500- plus the exam fees at my local centre so it really does get expensive. I also took geography. I don't know how difficult it is to take subjects involving coursework or lab work, partly why i avoided those subjects.
    You need to go on the exam boards and check specifications to see what coursework/lab work is needed. Be careful as a lot of subjects are changing their curriculums, but are likely to be showing this years curriculums.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.